PDA

View Full Version : whats the minimum tank size for a betta?

Ryuu
11-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Hello, sorry I was just wondering whats the minimum tank size for a betta? I have a 2.5 gallon tank that has been sitting empty for about five months, I have the filter media all developed and such. I just want to make sure its large enough to house one.

Thank you

Ryuu

Kathyd
11-05-2008, 09:35 PM
This is a topic for debate. The International Betta Congress says bettas need a minimum of 1 gallon. I noticed quite a change when I moved mine from a 1 to a 5 gallon, but I've never tried a 2.5 gal.

cocoa_pleco
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
IMO a 5g with a heater and filter

Tolley
11-05-2008, 10:13 PM
5 Gallon, by the time you the filter, heater, decor and substrate in 2.5 Gallon there would be hardly any room left!

lovleeko
11-05-2008, 10:46 PM
IMO That is a great tank size for a betta. Even a one gallon bowl would be okay. It is better than a cup, that's for sure. I have a betta in a ten gallon right now which will change soon. But I have a permanent resident in a five gallon and then one betta in a bowl. Obviously, I am happy for bettas that live in bigger tanks. But I understand that it is just not always possible to put them in a bigger home when they are so solitary. As long as you make sure a betta is stimulated it can have a relatively happy life in a bowl. It may not be the best thing they can be kept in but it certainly isn't the worst. Anyway, here is a link to a great betta site. They will give specific instructions on when to change the water for different tank sizes and other things you should know. Good luck!

http://www.healthybetta.com/

Here is another good site. I dont agree with her lily vase advise though. It is much better than the advise on the instructions list given with these torture chambers. But even if you keep the roots trimmed, they just can't get enough oxygen when there is something closing the top of the vase. Huge informative site other than that though.

http://bettatalk.com/

Ryuu
11-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Alright thanks everyone! I think I will hold off then and wait, even if 2.5 is big enough, I would rather the betta have more space, then not enough.

fins_n_fur
11-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Excellent decision as being a responsbile fish keeper! Bravo!

Northernguy
11-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Alright thanks everyone! I think I will hold off then and wait, even if 2.5 is big enough, I would rather the betta have more space, then not enough.
Kudos to you!!!!!
A 10 gallon tank with a heater and filter is perfect for a male beta with a small school of tetra is a great mix.The tetras are too fast for the beta to catch.
At least I have had that set up for months with no problems at all.
Just tossing in my 2 cents.

angelcakes
11-06-2008, 04:18 PM
5g with filter and heater:19:

DragonGoby
11-06-2008, 06:24 PM

I think it's a really good choice!!:19:

But if you still want to use your 2,5 gal, you can try some of the little shrimps, like the cherry or ghost... Put lots of plants and some shrimp and you will like them.

Best of luck!

Kayla-Bug
11-06-2008, 11:01 PM
I think 2.5 gallons are great and fine sizes for them unless you are putting the filter and decor in there. If you were just to put a heater, substrate and live/fake plants, it would be fine, but not too much plants. A 5 gallon would be my choice as well.