PDA

View Full Version : Mollie fry

teach
11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
So i have a few dozen mollie fry in my ten gal. tank. A lfs said she would give me store credit if I brought them in but only if they were "selling size". This leads me to 2 questions.

1. What would you guys think selling size was? I forgot to ask.
2. If I put them in a rubbermaid tub with a filter and a heater do you think they would grow quicker?
Thanks(zfish)

Sharkman
11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Mollielover,

I would think selling size would be near full grown or atleast 1 inch if not bigger. I have no experience with mollie fry, but I would think a larger container would help the fry out.

teach
11-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks I kinda thought the same i think ill just call her back and ask. and thats what i thought with the rubbermaid. I may set that up later today. then I can start on my viviquaruim

Sharkman
11-04-2008, 08:23 PM
cool. Let us know how the rubbermaid works out and what do you plan on putting in the viv?

teach
11-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Im going to start out with just some plants and maybe some smallfish. like feeder guppies or feeder goldfish(but I think they get to big. I want to eventually put either firebelly toads or newts. but its only 10gal so I dont know how the fish will go. I also thought about putting my betta in there but im still doing my research.

Gayle
11-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Congrats!!!! What kind are they?

lovleeko
11-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Well normally around three or four months live bearers are considered fully grown and can have babies. Though with mine I have seen them have babies when they are so small that I would not have bought them for beauty in the pet store. But of course lots of people want younger fish for longer life :)but a lot of novice fish keepers don't think about that. I don't know about the rubber maid idea. I guess it would work as long as you make sure they have light because they can get spine defects from light deficiency and they don't grow as fast without a good amount of light. Good luck!

teach
11-05-2008, 12:04 AM
They are mostly dalmations. and thanks I didnt know that about the lights. Ill be sure to have one. Im debating on just takeing them now there are probably a dozen or so that I think are big enough and they would hopefully be in a better place somewhere else. thanks for the help

Sharkman
11-05-2008, 12:06 AM
I forgot to ask, would the filter you put on the rubbermaid container be from a cycled tank or would you be starting fresh? Maybe its best to wait until the next batch of fry so you can think out the rubbermaid plan. It will probably take a few more days for the tank to settle in if you were transferring filters.

teach
11-05-2008, 03:03 AM
the filter is from the ten gallon they are in now. and Im hoping there wont be another batch there is already like 3 or 4 batches in there now thats why im trying to get something bigger.