PDA

View Full Version : How important is limiting water movement?

Kathyd
11-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I finally got around to getting my betta a little box filter. It is run by an air pump which disturbs the surface of the water a bit. He seems happy and unstressed, but he used to build or work on a bubble nest every day. It's been 3 days now without one. Do you think he'll resume building nests once he gets used to the filter, or is the water movement too much for him?

Northernguy
11-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Are you talking about the 5 or 10gal?
Once he gets used to it he will start again.If you have a small piece of styrofoam that will float on the corner,he might use that.

Mvjnz
11-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Movement in the surface will ruin his nest, so he might have tried, but it won't stay together.

It doesn't matter tho, as long as he doesn't seem stressed and you don't wanna breed him.

mac
11-05-2008, 03:01 AM
Hi,
There really is no worry if the currant destroys his nest. But if the Beta looks to be struggling in the currant then I would turn it down.

If you want to breed them you will need to add some sort of plant that will grow to the surface so it can have something to use to construct it's nest.

The only reason it will build a nest is so it can breed. But with-out a female it can't.

mac

Jacko
11-05-2008, 04:05 AM
If you want him to be building a nest with water flow still in the tank, I'd recomend half of a styrofoam cup. Breeders use this alot and as long as he builds inside the cup then the surface agitation can't disrupt it.

If you want to turn it down I find putting a gangvalve halfway up the air tube helps to control just how much you're pumping, add some floating plants near where the bubbles break the surface and it should help to minimize surface agitation further.

lovleeko
11-05-2008, 05:52 AM
He is probably trying and it is not staying together. That's okay though as long as you don't want to breed in that tank. :)

Kayla-Bug
11-05-2008, 10:23 AM
The filter is destroying the nest. The nests are very fragile, so water movement just breaks them apart and bursts all the bubbles. He doesn't necessarily have to have a nest to be happy, either. As long as he has a heater and clean water, and no heavy water current he is happy usually. Don't forget feeding too! And if you are worried about the flow being too strong, you can take a piece of a 20 oz coke bottle and cut some of it off and tape it under where the water falls out. This makes it so it doesn't put off so much flow.

wolf_eyes
11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
And if you are worried about the flow being too strong, you can take a piece of a 20 oz coke bottle and cut some of it off and tape it under where the water falls out. This makes it so it doesn't put off so much flow.

i do this in my tank only with half of a plastic drinking cup.My fish seem to appreciate the current being diffused some. If they want to swim in the current they head to the part of the tank where the current is strong and swim there for a while before going to rest in the calmer part of the tank

Kathyd
11-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. He's in my 5 gallon. Since I'm not breeding him, I'll just let him be. I was worried that he might get frusterated if he couldn't build his nest, but it's good to hear that that isn't the case. He is set up with a little heater and filter now. I almost lost him when the temprature dipped, but that's another story. I'll never keep a betta without a filter and heater again! :11:

lovleeko
11-05-2008, 11:29 PM
My females actually enjoy their current. They swim over to the filter and everything. I guess I haven't had a betta that didn't like it yet. :)

Kayla-Bug
11-06-2008, 11:03 PM
i do this in my tank only with half of a plastic drinking cup.My fish seem to appreciate the current being diffused some. If they want to swim in the current they head to the part of the tank where the current is strong and swim there for a while before going to rest in the calmer part of the tankYea, I think you can use anything as long as it is strong enough to slow the current. It took me forever to figure out how to do it when i needed it lol.