PDA

View Full Version : Subdued Lighting.

Drumachine09
01-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Up untill just last night i had not really use subdued lighting for my tank. I hung the light off of my 10 gallon, over the back of my 29 and it gave it a calm erie feeling, and then i noticed, my rainbow shark was actually, coming out from his cave! I reccomend this to anyone who has shy fish. The subdued lightting helps break them out of their shell, so to speak.

boston
01-17-2007, 02:10 AM
how do use subdued lighting i have a clown knife that is very shy

Drumachine09
01-17-2007, 02:13 AM
You can use L.E.D.s, but if you are not electronics savy, buy a small flouresent light and put it over one of the back corners of your tank. The light comes in through the sides and cracks in the top.

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2007, 02:16 AM
You won't believe how I sudue my lighting. I cut a piece of tin foil about 4 inches shorter than the glass the light sits on and place the light back on it. Cuts out the glare and the fish preform better.

Drumachine09
01-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Thats actually a really good idea! Thanks hobbs!

jeffs99dime
01-17-2007, 03:18 PM
floating plants.

Severus
01-17-2007, 03:27 PM
I like that tinfoil idea hobbs.

Drumachine09
01-18-2007, 12:41 AM
floating plants.

Huh?!?!?!?

AuroraAustralis
01-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Hobbs your a genius!!! I have been looking into moonlights for my tanks for the last few months but didn't want to buy anything expensive, especially without knowing how it would look and if my fish would react well to it's addition to the tank. Your fin foil method gave me an idea. I went out today and got some dark blue cellophane and cut it to fit my cover. Been waiting all day to test it out. It looks as good if not better than any of the moonlights I have seen for lotsa $$$ and under the wooden hood you can't even see it. Not bad for $3 lol Thanks girl, your a legend :thumb:

Lady Hobbs
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks. You can also buy colored tube covers that your light slides in but the tinfoil works well for me and when I want brighter light for cleaning, etc, I can just pull that foil out for a short time.....as you can using the cellophane.

jeffs99dime
01-19-2007, 05:03 AM
Huh?!?!?!?

floating plants will create a darker bottom. the light will diffuse through them

AuroraAustralis
01-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Unfortunately the slip on tube covers don't appear to be available anywhere in Australia. I have previously spent a whole night searching the net and the only ones I could find were all OS and would need to be imported. For the price of getting one over I could buy the gear for the flash led setup I want lol so it's pointless really. A bit of a pity that cos they seem like a fantastic idea and reasonably cheap when getting them in your own country :confused: Anything to do with moonlights is either ridiculously expensive here or not yet available it seems. I have decided to stick to my $3 cellophane moonlights for now until I can find & buy all the gear to make my own led ones :thumb: