PDA

View Full Version : OK I Seem to Have Ammonia Controlled But now What

mdk2424
11-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Advice from you all regarding my ammonia levels to high.
I have done water changes daily as suggested and I have gotton control of the ammonia level in my tank it going from 0.25 to 0.50 back down to 0.25 with 5 to 7 gals w/c daily its been 3 days now still holding between 0.25 & 0.50 alot better than the 4.0 i had.

OK now i am on the 5th week of this cycle and i did have Nitrites & nitrates levels on the 3rd week but with all the daily water changes both levels are 0.

4 Days ago i was able to get filter media from established tank and still no reading from nitrites.
5th week
ammonia between 0.25 / 0.50
nitrites 0
nitrates 0
PH 6.8 / 7.0
Temp 81 ( to promote bacteria )
? Now what how long before i get a spike in the 2nd stage.
FISH look good does not apper to any problems with them.

Northernguy
11-04-2008, 04:06 AM
It sounds as though you are almost completely cycled.Keep up the water changes until your ammonia is down to 0.After that w/cs every week.
Give the cycle time to stablize before adding too many more fish.A couple of weeks and your good to go.If you add too many too fast you could get a mini cycle.
Congrats and enjoy your tank!

mdk2424
11-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Ok but what about the 2nd and 3rd stage of the cycle?
? if i keep the ammonia level down to 0 will stage 2 start because i tought the nitrites need ammonia to start stage 2 then stage 3 nitrates will start when i have nitrites correct?
right now i just trying to keep the ammonia down and try to get the cycle over with. Also should i keep the temp at 81

Northernguy
11-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Lower the temp to 78.Get the ammonia down to 0.
Monitor your perameters and do your water changes when neccesary.
Once a week is definately neccesary!
I can't see your cycle taking much longer.
How many fish are left in the tank?

mdk2424
11-04-2008, 07:25 AM
ok i will lower the temp.
i started with 20 fish in a 29 gal and i have 15 left.
yeh i was stupid ran out got a tank and put fish in it mean while the pet shop did not tell me anything about cycling. i started reserching when the 1 fish dieid and found out a lot from this site and trying to keep the fish i have left also enjoying having them it is my 4 year old son birthday gift which is friday and it is his job to feed them and help with the maintence of the tank wich he has been a big help. BUT THANK YOU FOR THE INFO AND ANY OTHER INFO YOU CAN GIVE WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS NORTHENGUY

Lady Hobbs
11-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Did you read the cycling stickie in this forum at the top? Might help.

gourami*girl
11-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Once ammonia is down to zero, you might want to cut back on the water changes and see if you get any nitrites or nitrate readings. It might just be that with the large, frequent water changes you are removing the nitrites and nitrates as fast as they are being produced.