PDA

View Full Version : Need help

XLivinLtupx
01-13-2006, 05:05 AM
I set up a 60 gallon aquarium a couple weeks ago. I bought 30 pounds of rock, it wasnt lava rock but it looked similar just not red. from a local pet store and made a rock formation in the middle of the tank. Now i'm seeing white spider web like stuff on a couple different places on some of the rock? Is this some sort of algae growing? Was I supposed to treat the rock before putting it in the tank? I have already added 8 fish and I dont want them to die. Thanks for the help

Full3R
01-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Judging by your description if the white stuff is growing on the fish also its probably white spot, the best thing to do would be remove the rocks, put them in a bucket of hot water straight from the tap and put the rocks in and let them sit in the bucket for about 15 - 20 minutes them let them cool down and put them back in the tank

nick_cave
01-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I disagree with Full3R white spot (AKA Ick AKA Ichthyophthirius multifilis) doesn't have any web like with form in its live cicle check the following links for more info on Ick.

Here on Aquaticcommunity (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/universal-viewid46.html)
or
Outside Aquaticcommunity (http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/ichthyophthirius.html)

I gave you a more complet awnser in the beginners corner

Full3R
01-14-2006, 03:14 AM
Well none the less my fish tank experienced similar web like growths on the rocks and on the fish and we informed our local pet shop he recommened to treat the tank for white spot and it did the trick

Not saying you arewrong of course nick cave i was only attempting to give some options to treat the growth

nick_cave
01-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Usualy, most comercialy avaiable Ick treatments are chemical cocktails that contains several powerfull desinfectants, like malachite green, methilene blue, etc. this can also help prevent fungus growth, but are by far more intrusive and expensive expecialy when you are treating a rock, not the fish.

These treatments kill your tank's bacterial fauna, breaking the nitrogen cycle, and can also, in extreme cases, kill some plants and some sensitive species like some catfish for wich is not advisable to use this chemical componds.

William
01-17-2006, 05:42 AM
I have to agree with Nick_Cave that it's likely isn't white spot disease. But that doesn't mean that white spot treatments can't be able to solve the problem like it did in your case Full3R. Sounds like you got a wrong diagnosis but it still solved the problem (poor knowledge in petshops are unfortuantly common). White spot doesn't give syptoms like the ones in the original post.