PDA

View Full Version : I think this is a happy fish

BigMac
11-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I was taking pics this morning and thought I would share this one.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/507/medium/BNpleco1.JPG

fins_n_fur
11-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Beautiful fish! He does indeed look happy!

gm72
11-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Nice shot. How big is he?

BigMac
11-02-2008, 11:06 PM
She is an amazing fish. I never would have imagined she could do what she does.

I should have bought her one week sooner. There was a pair, male and female at my LFS that were there for 2 weeks.
I had to leave the country for about 7 days and when I got back the male was sold. They acted like a mated pair too.
I would have bought them both just to keep them together.
I have thre cory's that I bought so they wouldn't get broken up. When I first saw these panda looking cory cats, there were 4. Sombody bought 1 of them. Why would you buy 1 schooling fish?
I bought my LFS out of zebra loaches when I needed only two (got 4) because I didn't want 2 fish getting sold to someone that wasn't prepaired to have a school.

Damn fish are spoiled ;)

BigMac
11-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Nice shot. How big is he?
She is just over 3.5 in.

She is on a steady diet of algea and wafers. She is growing quite comfortable in this tank. She was very nervouse when I bought her. Being in that bare tank for a month at the LFS wasn't good for her.

I'm looking for more things to add to her diet now. I'd never had this kind of pleco before. She isn't interested in zuchini so I'm not sure what else to do for her.

Dave66
11-02-2008, 11:22 PM
She is just over 3.5 in.

She is on a steady diet of algea and wafers. She is growing quite comfortable in this tank. She was very nervouse when I bought her. Being in that bare tank for a month at the LFS wasn't good for her.

I'm looking for more things to add to her diet now. I'd never had this kind of pleco before. She isn't interested in zuchini so I'm not sure what else to do for her.

Did you blanch the Zucchini first, BigMac? Sucker-mouthed cats with algae-scraping plates instead of teeth lack the dentation to make any progress with the raw squash. Cucumber, on the other hand, they can usually handle raw.
Fresh spinach leaves, Romaine lettuce, peeled and cored apples, pear halves . . . pretty much any leafy vegetable, squash, or fruit can be tried with him. Hard stuff you have to blanch first, and you should crush the leaves so the flesh is visible before feeding.
You should feed in the middle of the night with tank and room lights off, or room lights dim enough you can just see what you're doing, as that's when your pleco is roaming the tank foraging.
You can always tell when your sucker-mouthed cat has been working on the veggies. May take some time for the fish to get the hang of the vegetation you put in is food, but they always do.

Dave

BigMac
11-02-2008, 11:43 PM
No, I didn't blanch. I had never had to before.

I'll try a phew more things.

Thanks!

Gayle
11-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Nice Pleco!!! There is nothing wrong with spoiling your fish!!!

angelcakes
11-03-2008, 02:41 PM
he does look a happy healthy fish:19: :19: