PDA

View Full Version : Oto Cats?

Abbeys_Mom
01-16-2007, 10:49 PM
How well do they do with brown algae? I am sick of fighting with it and am looking to solve it with fish. Hey, getting a Yo Yo Loach worked great for my snail problem and is cheaper and more attractive then chemicals :)

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 10:54 PM
How well do they do with brown algae? I am sick of fighting with it and am looking to solve it with fish. Hey, getting a Yo Yo Loach worked great for my snail problem and is cheaper and more attractive then chemicals :)

i have several ottos. they eat the brown algae, when i have it that is, to nothing. they're awesome. they aren't shy like a lot of bottom dwellers either. i highly recommend getting some. what are you looking to put them in with? (fish) non- aggressive either. this is all MY experience though. it may differ for you, don't know. i know you already know this. i wanted to write that part for other members who may think what's good for the goose, is not necessarily good for the gander and visa-versa. lol
*what a dumb phrase^^^. lol

nfras
01-17-2007, 01:13 AM
When I first introduced 3 Otos to my 55gal there had been no clean up crew for over a month. In 2 days they had eaten all of the green and brown algae in the tank. They are great little catfish.

Abbeys_Mom
01-17-2007, 01:30 AM
I would only get one and it would be in with:
I bristlenose catfish
2 dwarf gouramis
3 sparkling gouramis
1 kuhli loach
1 yo yo loach

jeffs99dime
01-17-2007, 01:39 AM
I would only get one and it would be in with:
I bristlenose catfish
2 dwarf gouramis
3 sparkling gouramis
1 kuhli loach
1 yo yo loach

i don't know how they would fair with the gourami. there's good spots to hide i assume? if so, i think you'd be fine.

Abbeys_Mom
01-17-2007, 02:35 AM
He's not aggressive. I have heard of them attacking other fish, but he has not a nipper, yet anyway.