PDA

View Full Version : My NEW Cuban Knight Anoles

freshwaterfishlover
11-02-2008, 02:16 PM
It arrived on Friday. I feed it 2 Crickets Saturday. It has not eaten the Crickets and it has been 24 hours. Do they not eat Crckets? I also have Mealworms I could try.

My 2 Regular Florida Anoles Love Crickets and Mealworms.

Tolley
11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Idealy before purchasing a reptile you should find out what it is already being fed on and feed the same. Is there anyway you can find that out?

Also with the stress of being moved to a new home they may not feel like eating for a few days so you shouldn't worry just yet.

smaug
11-02-2008, 03:54 PM
As Tolley stated it is probably just stress from being shipped.Keep there tank at optimum conditions and dimly lit for a while.I would start to worry if by Monday they haven't eaten yet.I have never kept them but I am familiar with reptiles and phibs ,it is normal for them to fast for a few days after being stressed.Good luck and keep us posted.

freshwaterfishlover
11-06-2008, 02:02 AM
The Cuban Knight Anoles will not eat Mealworms or Crickets.

I tried just now to feed it with tweezers a cricket. I think it was going to eat the cricket because it started to move it head like it wanted the cricket, but I dropped it. I placed it on it's mouth.

Second try it was infront of it's face and it closed it's eyes.

I did read online that people are having trouble getting their Cuban Knight Anoles to eat. One person said it eat a Pinky Mice once. It was in front of the Cuban Anoles Convolsing and the Cuban Anoles ate it, but the person never got their Cuban Knight Anoles to eat again.

freshwaterfishlover
11-11-2008, 02:10 AM
Cuban Anole still not eating. Local Fish store told me unlike your regular Anoles, Cuban Anoles only eat at night. I have 3 lights on my Cuban Anoles tank. Floresant light, Heat Lamp and UVA Light. I have been only turning off the Floresant light, but My local Fish store told me to turn all lights off and see if it eats.

cer
12-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Try asking where you got it how they feed them.

cocoa_pleco
12-08-2008, 02:37 AM
old thread

Spawn
12-08-2008, 03:57 AM
Hello:
I have been working with a small group of Cuban Knight Anoles (Anolis equestris) for almost a year-and-a-half now and have not lost any of them. This is unusual because in the past I had never been able to keep them alive for more than a month or two even though I have been keeping reptiles for many years. This was a species that I swore never to get again but now I really like them and hope to get a couple more to set up a breeding group.
You didn't say how you were keeping it which I have found to be very important with this species. Not knowing what your set-up is like I'll just tell you what mine is like.
I have them (two young females) in a 29 gallon aquarium with one of those screen cages that is made to be mounted onto a twenty long or 29 gallon aquarium. This gives the anoles more vertical climbing space which I'm convinced is the key to getting them to settle in quicker. Inside the tank I have some live Pothos and a couple other terrarium plants. There are vertical climbing areas for them as well. I can tell you that these lizards spend 85% of their day hanging out at the top of the terrarium. It is obvious that they require the vertical space.
Mine will usually only come to the ground for feeding and when they do they are voracious about it. I feed them mostly crickets but I do occasionally give them a bowl of mealworms as well. They will always try to snatch the food as I introduce it to the cage before it hits the ground though they will descend to the ground to feed. I also spray them daily which they really like and have a permanent water dish in the habitat as well.
I got a chance to observe and collect a couple down south and found them to be impressive looking while perched vertically (Almost always) on a tree trunk. They like to slide around the back side of the branches curvature with just the ridges of their eyes peeking out. A perfect way to hide and observe. I actually have video of a large male maneuvering his way around a branch keeping the tree between him and me.
I hope this info helps for any of you out there who try to keep these lizards. They really are interesting once they settle in.
Have a Great Day!!!