PDA

View Full Version : Please help-sick or dying?

kdlog
11-01-2008, 11:11 PM
We have had this peppermint pleco for several months. It has stayed in a cave the whole time. now that it has come out, we can see that it has a sunken stomach and its mouth is puckered out. We can see movement in the inside of his mouth, but the outside looks stiff. He rolls over on his back and has a hard time getting back right-side up.

55gal.tank
I've had this tank set up for about a year now. We also keep some salt in there.
PH=7
ammonia level is safe
temp 78degrees

it's in there with some cory cats, bumblebee cats, and parrot cichlids
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa37/keebert/pep.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa37/keebert/pep2.jpg

Northernguy
11-01-2008, 11:49 PM
What have you been feeding it?
What are your nitrite and nitrate readings?
When was your last water change?
Does it come out at night?

dean30bb
11-02-2008, 12:09 AM
possibly hes not getting enough food always hiding but then again there scavengers so he should be geeting somthing

what are your parameters??

kdlog
11-02-2008, 01:22 AM
We don't have nitrite and nitrate test kits...

I'm not sure if he comes out at night or not.

We put Algae Wafers and Sinking wafers, as well as others food for the cichlids.

We did about a 25% change a couple weeks ago, and about a 15% change today

Dave66
11-02-2008, 01:39 AM
We don't have nitrite and nitrate test kits...

I'm not sure if he comes out at night or not.

We put Algae Wafers and Sinking wafers, as well as others food for the cichlids.

We did about a 25% change a couple weeks ago, and about a 15% change today

kdlog,
You should have the test kits, as well as one for ammonia. Standard equipment. The sunken stomach means he is starving, so he is NOT eating. You should do a 20 percent change every week, and do your water tests in between changes for accurate readings.
Heres how to feed that pleco: go to the grocery store and get some leaf spinach from the produce section. Clean the leaf under a cool tap by rinsing it - no soap of any kind, rubbing the leaf with your fingers to get the garbage grocery stores spray their produce with to make them stay fresh longer in the racks. Crush the leaf a bit so the flesh is visible. Rubber-band the steam of the leaf to a clean stone, and place it so the leaf lays on the substrate.
If you've a clean cucumber, cut it in half so the maximum flesh is visible. Take a clean tea spoon and skewer a piece so it'll sink.
Place both the leaf and the cucumber in the tank about 2 or 3 hours after lights out with the room lights off or very very dim.
Inspect the leaf and cucumber in the morning. If it looks like the leaf is skeletonized and/or the cucumber flesh looks like it's been gnawed on the pleco has eaten.
Inspect his stomach. It should be a bit fuller.
You'll have to feed that pleco in the middle of the night like that if you want to keep him alive and thriving. Reason he hides all day and forages at night is the tankmates you have.
You can try peeled and cored apples, pear halves, all kinds of fresh veggies with him. Just experiment with what he likes best.
What you see in his mouth is his rasping 'tongue'.

Dave

abaigael04
11-02-2008, 04:15 PM
watermelon always worked for me. you could also try soaking the wafers in garlic. OR crush some wafers up, mix with egg white, slather on a rock and let dry in the sun. Drop in the tank at night. GL! also - "safe" ammonia levels- you mean 0, right?

Gayle
11-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I agree, it is starving. Mine loves Zucchini, and blood worms you could try that too. Also, odd as it sounds mine loves that Hikari First Bites fry food, you could try some of that as well to peak his interests in eating.

kdlog
11-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your information. The pleco didn't make it. We are going back to having a common pleco again for now. They seem to do better in our tank.

Yes, I meant the ammonia level is 0, we have a Mardel monitor suctioned to the inside of the tank, and 0 is labeled "safe", so that's what I meant.

Is the mouth sticking out a symptom of starvation, or do you think that was caused by another problem?

Gayle
11-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Sorry for your loss.

kdlog
11-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Dave,
are those recommendations also good for common plecos?

Tolley
11-02-2008, 06:26 PM
We are going back to having a common pleco again for now. They seem to do better in our tank.

Be aware that Common Plecos get around 2 foot long so you will need a tank wider than 2' so he/she can turn around.