PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong With Him?

shiv
11-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Since the last 2 days i see one of my Discus bobbing in the water.He faces downwards and bobs up and down.I wonder what could be wrong with him(if anything).He eats well and if i go near the tank even comes forward looking for food.But when left to himself he goes back to bobbing.He must be 4months old and is about 3inches in size.
Please advise and help as i'm worried.
Thanks,
Shiv

BigMac
11-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Is he pooping normally?
Constipation can cause wierd swim bladder like issues.

Are you verying the diet? Any other fish haveing issues?

Got pics?

shiv
11-01-2008, 03:39 PM
He seems to be pooping normally.And i haven't been varying their diet and only use Tetrabits for discus and Tubifex worms and sometimes feedthem blood worms,but that's about it.They seem to enjoy the Tetrabits and Tubifex worms.

Northernguy
11-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Have you been doing your weekly water changes?
What are your test results from your water?

Esquire
11-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Feed quality flakes every other day only in place of a BW feeding. Omega is a good flake.
Frozen Bloodworms 2 times a day. No tubefex.
Your fish is constipated/ bloated, the #1 reason Discus die, overfeeding and the wrong food.
You may need to dose them with epson salt.

shiv
11-03-2008, 05:24 AM
Hi Esquire,
What you said about the overfeeding is true.
I've never heard of epson salt,so could you please tell me what it's used for and how much should i put in a 212ltr/57gallon(i think)tank?And should i seperate the affected guy or put in the salt in my main tank?
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Cheers,
Shiv

Northernguy
11-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Feed your fish some blanched peas.It will help get rid of the constipation and no salt.Peas work great for keeping your fish regular!
I also feed mine food mixed with garlic juice to kill any internal parasites!

paulo64
11-06-2008, 10:29 PM
they do that in order to search for food usually you should feed him 2 times a day in smaller amounds. my discus does that when he is not fed enough also mage sure some food hits the bottom so the discus can get the food at the bottom. then do a partial 10- 15% water change every four weeks. i kept my discus for three years andd they do that as an instinct in search for food. thats why nthey are known as hanging out on the bottom. i would reccomend san fransico bay or salt lake city meaty bloodworms brine shrimp and other meaty frozen foods. also i would goive them some vegitabvle matter as well to ensure their good health. plus the frozen foods float and then sink t the bottom.(zfish) you should do great!

shiv
11-07-2008, 02:19 AM
I have been getting various anwers as to how often water should be changed and how often.
What works for me is 10% change every 2 days.I have a 212ltr. tank with 12 Discus and other small Tetra's.
Do you guys also follow this?

Northernguy
11-07-2008, 11:45 PM
I prefer to do 40 50% water changes whenever I do them.
Once a week is recommened!Large water changes will not hurt the fish,just gives them clean water!:19: