PDA

View Full Version : New starter, have questions....help !!!

mdjw76
01-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi there,

I introduced myself on here about a week ago (thanks for the kind replies) and mentioned at the time that I had a few questions that needs answering. Well, Iíve done some research etc and read loads about fish, but I still need a few things clarified. Please help....

Here is my set-up:

Rekord 70 tank
Live plants (Various)
2 x Coral Blue Gourami
6 x Kuhli Loaches
Temp @ around 25oC

Want to add:

Glass Catfish
Dwarf Puffer (See question below)
Hillstream Loach (See question below)
Golden Ram Chichlid
Small Angel Fish
Corydoras (Not sure which yet)

Questions:

1) How often should I feed fish and how much.

2) Should I vary their diet, if so - to what.

3) How often should I change my water and how much.

4) Any recommendations on particular brands of water cleaner

5) Any recommendations on particular brands of flake food (I Live in the UK)

6) Can anyone suggest odd looking fish that would get on well with the others

7) Would a Dwarf Puffer be definitely out of the question.

8) Can a Butterfly loach / Hillstream loach survive in my tank.

9) If a Kuhli loach is not able to burrow (due to substrate being to large) will it get stressed and die.

10) Can anyone suggest a good community set up (including the fish I already have) in case there is some kind of fish I havent thought of.

11) How often do I change the filter pads in the Rekord 70.

12) Would you advise buying difficult to find fish over the net.

13) Can anyone see any problems with the kind of fish I keep / want to keep.

I realise that some of these questions dont have a straight forward answer but I would appreicate your feedback, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Matt

Abbeys_Mom
01-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Want to add:

Glass Catfish
Dwarf Puffer (See question below)
Hillstream Loach (See question below)
Golden Ram Chichlid
Small Angel Fish
Corydoras (Not sure which yet)

Questions:

As much as they can eat in a minute with no left overs.

Some frozen blood worms, baby brine shrimp, zucchini, spinach and shelled peas (canned or frozen) are good on occasion. It all depends on which fish you have.

3) How often should I change my water and how much.

The average is 10-20% a week.

4) Any recommendations on particular brands of water cleaner

I use AquaPlus by Nutrafin, but anything that de-chlorinates is fine

5) Any recommendations on particular brands of flake food (I Live in the UK)

Not sure what brands you have to chose from

Most "odd" fish are not good community fish

7) Would a Dwarf Puffer be definitely out of the question.

Yes, unless you have a separate tank and are ready for a brackish tank.

I think if you have good filtration to move the water around you should be ok.

9) If a Kuhli loach is not able to burrow (due to substrate being to large) will it get stressed and die.

You can provide alternate hiding spots..Plant pots (plastic or terracotta, clean well), pvc pipe, rock caves, resin ornaments, etc.

10) Can anyone suggest a good community set up (including the fish I already have) in case there is some kind of fish I havent thought of.

I would stick peaceful fish, there are some fish that aren't much to look are, but are very active and interesting to watch, like danios, minnow, tetras, etc.

If they don't have charcoal, you can rinse them with tank water and re-use. You don't have to replace them till they are clogged up or falling apart IMO.

12) Would you advise buying difficult to find fish over the net.

I have never done it. If there is something you want, ask your LFS to order it for you, then you can get your fish without risking bad stock and high prices.

13) Can anyone see any problems with the kind of fish I keep / want to keep.

I would avoid getting angels, they can be aggressive. I would get the loach or corydoras or the glass fish, not all. You already have kuhlis in that niche. One or two bottom feeders are ok, but too many and they will fight.

I realise that some of these questions dont have a straight forward answer but I would appreicate your feedback, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I would get a few rams and one of the bottom feeders and get some dithers for the middle, like tetras or danios.

Hope this helps and Welcome to the forum :)

Incredulous_Ed
01-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Not much left for me to say, is there? lol
If you get the glass catfish, you will need at least 5 and they like a steady streamof water.

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 10:03 PM
hillstream loaches need a fast current that would be considered too much for most of the community fish. and definitely do not put dwarf puffers in a community tank. they will rip your other fish to shreds

Abbeys_Mom
01-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Not much left for me to say, is there? lol

I love to research and I have highspeed. Plus, I have too much time on my hands, lol

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 10:47 PM
I love to research and I have highspeed. Plus, I have too much time on my hands, lol

that was a very informative post abbeysmom. so what if you have too much time on your hands. lol

Abbeys_Mom
01-16-2007, 10:50 PM
that was a very informative post abbeysmom. so what if you have too much time on your hands. lol

SOME people think I should be doing more productive things...Like vacuuming, lol

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 10:55 PM
SOME people think I should be doing more productive things...Like vacuuming, lol

your daughter thinks you should be vaccumming? lol j/k:laugh1blue:

bettaboy691
01-16-2007, 11:17 PM
i copied the layout from abbeys_mom because i thought it was a good way, hope you dont mind

it usally says on the tub of food but what ever your fish eats in a 1-2 minuets is a good rule,
a good fish diet could include live bloodworms/brineshrimp, or frozen or freeze-dried.flakes,granuales, pellets, enything meant for tropical fish would be a nice treat
3) How often should I change my water and how much.every week and about 10%-30% depending on stock levels, you could add something like tetra easybalance which stabalizes water and makes it last longer but use that at you own descresion
4) Any recommendations on particular brands of water cleanerlike abbeys_mom said any thing that de-chlorinates water is fine, i use tetra aquasafe
5) Any recommendations on particular brands of flake food (I Live in the UK)tetra is a good make and one i use a lot
again, most "odd looking" fish tend to be a little aggressive or not able to be kept with others,depend on what your meaning of "odd" is, have a look around fish shops.
7) Would a Dwarf Puffer be definitely out of the question.yep,it perfers brackish waters
i dont know, i havent kept these and dont know what they need
it wont die and it could hide in caves,plants,etc but burrowing is what its suppose to do so its a bit unfair stopping it from doig that.
10) Can anyone suggest a good community set up (including the fish I already have) in case there is some kind of fish I havent thought of.erm...livebearers can be good but may breed? tetras,danios,rasboras,cory cats,rainbow fish,pieceful barbs such as rosy barbs (NOT TIGER BARBS)and maybe a betta(females do betta in communities)
squeze them every 4 weeks or so,if after you done that and they are still dirty, replace them, the instructions provided are a guideline.
12) Would you advise buying difficult to find fish over the net.not really as P&P can be very expensive, try asking at fish stores as they can usally order one.
13) Can anyone see any problems with the kind of fish I keep / want to keep.avoid angels, they like taller tanks and will eat small fish when they are bigger.i wouldn't get any more bottom dwellers as the kulies can't dig they might be aggressive to stay in caves etc that other bottom dwellerd want.glass catfish like to be in groups of around 5.

hope i helped a little, i realise some answers will be the same as abbeys_mom but that means we agree.:-)

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2007, 01:55 AM
I would definitely be checking out the compatibility charts in Announcements. You may have to scratch some of those fish from that list.