PDA

View Full Version : Changing Water

colingalbraith
01-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Is there an easier way of changing water other than using a bucket and manually transferring fresh water to my aquarium?

I'm still setting up the tank but when the fish go in I don;t want to give them too much stress when it comes to this part of maintenance.

Thanks

Colin

William
01-11-2006, 02:52 AM
The bucket metod is among the best if your are somewhat new to aquarium keeping. I wouldn't worry about stressing the fish to much while changing the waater as long as you try to do it relativly fast.

Which fish are you planning to keep?

nick_cave
01-11-2006, 09:55 AM
i agree with william here, the bucket is the best, if you have just one tank, and dont worry mutch about the fish beeing stressed, because the get used to it, since they are young (aquarium strains), still you can make litle improvments, like ading a siphon and leting the fresh water drip through a hose drop by drop (you can control the flow by bending the hose between the tank lid).

colingalbraith
01-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks for this. I'm planning on a middle-of-the-road community tank just now because of my inexperience. I've been getting advice from my BIL but I'm going to add a couple of Platy's towards the end of the week and see how they go.

Cheers.