PDA

View Full Version : Reptiles or Amphibians That can live in a small exo terra?

Paleofish
11-01-2008, 01:30 AM
I have this small exo terra 12" x 12" x 12" That i used to house my leopard gecko when it was a baby and It has been laying around for a while now and I would like to do something with it:c12: So i was thinking of putting some tropical plants in it and I was wondering if i could put any colorful reptiles or Amphibians in it also?

Any ideas?

cocoa_pleco
11-01-2008, 01:31 AM
ive got the same one with 3 firebelly toads

Paleofish
11-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Those are cool. What about dart frogs? My LPS have some (For $50 bucks a peice(ghost) )

Fishguy2727
11-01-2008, 03:43 AM
Depending on the species dartfrogs could work, some just get a little too big for that size tank.

Dartfrogs are not for the beginner though. They are a relatively demanding type of frog and are quite fragile.

Paleofish
11-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I think one species is the Dendrobates auratus.

Paleofish
11-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Would a pair (Meaning male and fermale) Fire bellied newt do ok in the setup I am thinking of if i add a pond?

freshwaterfishlover
11-02-2008, 01:45 PM
2 Tree Frogs. All they need is a UV light, Reptile Bark, 1 or 2 branches, Water Bowl and food. They can live off room Temp.

Fishguy2727
11-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Some treefrogs need warmer than most room temps. And actually there are VERY few species of diurnal frogs, almost all are nocturnal, so they are not out during the day to get any UV, so UV actually is not really needed for all but very few exceptions.

Yes, a couple or even a few firebelly toads would be a good option.

smaug
11-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Auratus darts are a beginners dart frog yes but darts in general are not good candidates for beginning amphib keepers for many reasons,food sources and knowledge of what to look for in there behaviors to identify stress and illness.Your tank is too small for any but the smallest tree frogs and again,the smaller ones are the most difficult.Firebellys are where its at for the beginners and even the experienced phib keepers,they are very entertaining and easily kept and fed.You could 3-4 easily as they are very social and love each others company.

Paleofish
11-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Well i ain't a beginning amphibian keeper, Cause i have a tiger salamander :c12: And i have had other amphibians in the past. But for the fire bellied toads how much water vs Land should i have?

Fishguy2727
11-02-2008, 08:24 PM
My viquarium overall is about 1/3 land and 2/3 water. In addition, african root wood is in the water and just abrely breaks the surface in a couple spots, providing shallow sitting areas, and areas just above the water line. In addition to all this, the plants are so dense that they function as a resting spot as well.