PDA

View Full Version : plants page

orange leader
01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Hi I'm new, (joined yesterday)

Please take this with a grain of salt (marine), as have no idea how it would be done (well,,...the second part).

I just went to the plant species section, and there seem to be 2 categories:
Fresh and Tropical.

forgive me if i'm missing something here, but isn't tropical also fresh? perhaps tropical and marine and cold water? and yes I know there really aren't marine aquarium plants, they're actually macro algea, but so are many "plants" sold for tropical (fresh) tanks.

so anyhow, perhaps a 3rd category and/or a different name for the 2 categories.

AND, here's the hard part... I'm a visual guy. I see something, and THEN I can match it with a name. If you give me a list of 200 scientific names, I will NEVER be able to identify a plant in my aquarium (as stores often sell things labeled improperly). Can we get a thumbnail identifying system to at least get us close to the right kind of plant. Kind of a pictured dichotomous key (trichomous, quadchotomous? etc.) of plants. Perhaps in addition to the alphabetical listings of scientific names, since there are often literary references to stuff and you may want to see what it looks like after you know what something is.

Okay there are my suggestions. I have no clue how hard these would be to eneact. they may be unrealistic, but they're out there.

Thanks,

Orange leader.

Abbeys_Mom
01-16-2007, 07:46 PM
I personally think there is a distinction between "freshwater" and "tropical". Some plants need higher temps, where as some can thrive in anything.

Incredulous_Ed
01-16-2007, 08:48 PM
yeah, some plants are incredibly picky about water quality and temperature.

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 09:52 PM
and also, compatability with other plants and fish/ inverts, etc.