PDA

View Full Version : Please Help With my cycle

mdk2424
10-31-2008, 02:49 AM
Hi I just joined AC. Hi Every body.
Please some one help me I ran out got a 29 gallon tank with about 25 fish not knowing about the cycle process. After losing 5 tropical fish i started to do a little research on fish keeping and found this site to be the best around.
Ok here is my problem I have been testing with the API kit. I had it running for about 23 days know and after reading several posting on AC I have been doing water changes To try to knock down the Ammonia.

1 Week
Ammonia 3.0 after w/c with 7 gals 1.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 7.5

2 week
Ammonia between 3.0/4.0 after w/c 7/10 gals 2.0
Nitrite 0 then end of the week it was 0.25
Nitrate 0
PH 7.0

3 Week Found a local pet store that let me buy used filter media and put it in my filter.
Ammonia 4.0 after w/c 2.0
Nitrite 0.50 end of the week was 1.0
Nitrate 5.0 went up to 10
PH 6.8
So I thougt ever thing was looking good and on track, I was wrong!

4 Week Don't know what I am doing wrong it looked like I was doing every thing right from what i have read. pet shop owners telling me i should have done nothing to the tank (no W/C) filter media won't help. So i come to AC for some help.
Ammonia 4.0 after w/c 2.0 now doing about 10 gals out of the 29 gal tank
Nitrite Started droping 1.0 now 0
Nitrate Started droping 10 now 0
PH 6.6 now 6.4

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME!!!!!!(pumpkin)

Mvjnz
10-31-2008, 02:59 AM
Filter media does help, because that's where all the good bacteria is. And because you are now seeing both nitrite and nitrate, it has obviously done some good, it just wasn't enough to handle *all* the toxin produced by your fish.

If you were doing a fishless cycle then no, you shouldn't have changed water, but because you wanna keep your fish alive (I assume) you must change water regularly, every day or every 2 days at least.

The problem with cycling with fish is the frequent water changes you have to do to keep the amount of toxins down. This make it take longer to cycle.

All in all, it all looks pretty good. Just keep doing water changes until you get no reading for ammonia and nitrite. You should always have some nitrate in a cycled tank.

Aerider414
10-31-2008, 03:06 AM
ammonia is cause by fish waste directly, so the lg number of fish you put in at once is a lg cause of the ammonia. Try C-100 bags or Ammo-Detox to get it lowered. Also you can add some f/w biozyme to help build the beneficial bacteria to break down the ammonia. These are all inexpensive. In the future add fish slower

OscarFan
10-31-2008, 03:10 AM
Filter Madia helps the cycle a ton I would get some and add it ASAP.

mdk2424
10-31-2008, 03:19 AM
i did use biozyme for the first week.
I have a Aqua clear 70 and a aqua clear 50 with just bio balls and bio beads just added the 50 2 days ago

Sir Tristen
10-31-2008, 04:06 AM
That should definately be adequate filteration. The key to cycling is patience and perseverence. Levels don't change all that quickly, so you just need to take it day by day and try to keep the toxins down. The best thing you can do for your fish is keep up with the water changes. Some water conditioners are supposed to detoxify ammonia, Seachem prime comes to mind. Just keep at it. It will finish some day, especially with the added used filter medium.:c3:

mdk2424
10-31-2008, 04:16 AM
Sir Tristen Thank you for your response.
It is just fustrating i tought every thing was going good til the 4th week. next time will try the fish less way. how ever i am enjoying the hobby with my 4 year old wich is his job to feed them and to name the fish. so thanks.

Sir Tristen
10-31-2008, 05:05 AM
You're welcome. I''m glad you are enjoying the hobby with your son. :19: I'm currently waiting on my 20 gallon tank to finish a fishless cycle, and it's grinding my patience down, but I'm getting pretty close. The only inhabitants in my tank are my low light plants and a growing colony of snails. You'll find that a lot of people on here know where you're coming from and sympathize with you. It's a great place to get great information, and I suggest reading and more reading. This hobby is a lot harder than I expected, but it still addicts us.

What fish do you currently have in the tank?

mdk2424
10-31-2008, 07:56 AM
I have a coray catfish, 5 tiger barbs, 2 plattes, 1 Molley, 4 cherry barbs and 3 red fin ?
? i had nitrites and nitrates in my 3rd week but they went down to 0 after several water changes due to ammonia is this normal or is the cycle starting over? what else can i do or should i stop the water changes and let the ammonia level go even higher i did raise the temp of my tank 2 weeks ago to 82 to promote a bio bloom from what i read on AC any other sugestons and any idea how much longer before things start to level out.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INFO Sir Tristen

fins_n_fur
10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
What are your parameters now? Do not let your ammonia levels go high as that will only stress and possibly kill your fish.

Take daily parameter readings and do a water change everyday or every other day as needed to keep ammonia down to about 1 or less. Your tank should cycle pretty quickly with the used filter media that you bought. If you can buy some of Seachem's Prime to treat the tank water, do it. This does not eliminate the ammonia, but coverts it to a less harmful version for your fish, and the converted version will still be food for the beneficial bacteria.

mdk2424
10-31-2008, 12:06 PM
THANKS fin n fur infact i read one of your posting yesterday sugesting to use seacem stibility oh i just noticed i bought the wrong stuff you sugest seachem (PRIM), Well i go buy that today.
I just woke up and turn the light on in the tank and seems to be cloudy which from what i read is a good thing as soon as i get some caffeine and nicitine in my system i test the water and get back to you for some more help ful advice. ? what is seachem stibility for?

mdk2424
10-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Ok i just checked the levels in my tank
Ammonia 4.0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 0
PH 6.6
Temp 81
I just did a W/C 15 gals at 0900 hrs. 4 weeks & no luck!!!!

Sir Tristen
10-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Ok i just checked the levels in my tank
Ammonia 4.0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 0
PH 6.6
Temp 81
I just did a W/C 15 gals at 0900 hrs. 4 weeks & no luck!!!!

Don't let it get you down. Most of the fish are still alive, and you can keep them that way with some work and patience. The prime should help them. The filter media should speed things up if it was taken out of an established tank, kept wet with dechlorinated water, and put into your tank directly. If it had a chance to dry out some of the bacteria might have died. If it was carefully kept you will see results. On the bright side you have a great ph for your fish. I'd love to have your ph. Mine is around 8, great for cichlids, but I don't want cichlids. I'll just have to acclimatize my fish slowly and hope for the best.

While I don't recommend adding any fish at present, your cory will eventually appreciate having a small school of at least 5. I love corys, though, a very popular and active fish. Which type did you get? What size is your tank?

sueshewoman
10-31-2008, 05:38 PM
HI ,
I have just about got my tank rite now it,s taken me 3 month to get here,
so know where you are coming from ,like you am new to fishkeeping
& love every1 on this site , they have been there with answers when ever i,v
had a prob. So all i can say i hang in there you are near the end of your cycleing & all the best SUE :19:

mdk2424
10-31-2008, 05:46 PM
why thanks sue and i am trying to be proactive and trying to be patience.
I just picked up some more filter media from another tank my friend has been set up for about a year which will hopeful add enough bacteria to my tank. but first i need to do another water change due to ammonia still at 2.0ppm

terrapin24h
10-31-2008, 09:00 PM
you'll get through it, stay on it. Has anyone else noticed that his PH is on a slow slide? 7.2, 6.8, 6.6, etc..

One thing about that, your ammonia(so long as the ph stays under 7) is NOT TOXIC to the fish! It will only become toxic to them when the ph goes to 7 and above. It's prob a big reason why you haven't had any other deaths with your ammonia at 4.0. It's good, but it's a double edged sword. We need to keep an eye on your ph, continue to post it. GL

--chris