PDA

View Full Version : Aquascape?!

jackson-.-
01-16-2007, 04:23 AM
Now here's a question I'm confusing myself about... All the plants that you 'Professional aquariumists' use, such in the TOTM's I've been looking at, anyway are they real... fake?

I'm trying to 'fill' my tank (46 gal, practically empty) and don't know what to use. I'm trying a few bulbs though. And that drift wood... I bought a small piece for $10, but is that a good 'filler'? I see some aquariums have the huge pieces, and where do you get that?

blue fin
01-16-2007, 04:34 AM
As far as the plants... mine are all fakes... at this point it's the easiest way to go, in the future I may get a couple of live plants. You have to be wary of what plants your fish will like or eat when buying live plants. as far as "filler" that will also depend on the type of fish you have, it does pay to have some " hidey holes " in your tank, many fish enjoy having a place to go where they can feel safe and protected, furthermore if the back of your tank is exposed you can get a backdrop to help them feel as if there is something behind them so they can feel safe and live stress-free.

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 01:51 PM
i got my bogwood out of a cranberry bog in jackson, nj by my aunt's house. then i boiled it and let it sit for about 2 weeks, changing the stained water every few days. i still get tannins in the water but, i want this. i have tetra.

Abbeys_Mom
01-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I have a huge piece of bog wood too, I got my from a town up north. Most people how have large driftwood and things general get them from nature :).
If you are thinking of getting into live plants, here's a good site
http://www.plantgeek.net/

There is no shame in fake plants, I have 50/50 right now. I'll tell you one thing, plastic is less work :)

typically
01-16-2007, 05:53 PM
planted tanks are a lot more work than you would think. i just started up a 10 gallon and it has cost me close to $150 bucks to get everything i needed to get it going. but the tanks do look sweet when they are done. i'm stocked i get my new light today 40 watts over a 10 gallon woot woot!

if you are looking to do a planted tank check out this forum its is all about planted tanks. http://www.plantedtank.net

Incredulous_Ed
01-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah, planted tanks are a lot of work. The bulbs you bought are excellent begginner plants and require very little maintenence.

Ivana
01-21-2007, 09:45 PM
I got my driftwood down at the river. :)
As for planted tanks being work, I haven't found it to be so. I put down a layer of flourite (?) when I set up, covered it with sand, and planted away. I have a plant bulb in the hood, and it all pretty much takes care of itself. I don't have a super-aquascaped tank though- just some plants to make things prettier. You do have to do some experimentation to find plants that work with what you've got in the tank though. Some things I liked and bought didn't make it in my tank. The ones that survived, well, viola.