PDA

View Full Version : Hi

jacmitchell85
01-16-2007, 04:10 AM
Hi, I am new to the Aquarium Forum. I had a wierd question. I have a Jack Dempsey Cichlid, and I just purchased a African Cichlid. As I put the new fish in the tank with the bag to match the temp's, I noticed when I released the new fish in the tank, the J.D. cichlid had laid eggs. My question is can different breeds spawn, and are the eggs alive?
Thanks For all your help
Jacmitchell85 :help:

Severus
01-16-2007, 04:18 AM
Certain different species can breed, but i am not sure in your situation. I cant help you out much than that. What cichlid did you add to your tank? Welcome to AC!

blue fin
01-16-2007, 04:19 AM
I doubt it but others will know more than I... I would also question do you even know what sex the newcomer is and is it mature? I wouldn't guess you'd be likely to get any live fry from those eggs, maybe if the pair get along in the tank together you'll get some later....cichlid man and a few others should have some knowledgeable responces for you... good luck! and Welcome to AC

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 01:04 PM
welcome to a.c.:thumb:

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Welcome to AC. So nice to SEE you.

Other species will breed and probably cichlids most often. That's how the Blood Parrot come about......from two different species of cichlids.

Abbeys_Mom
01-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

Incredulous_Ed
01-16-2007, 08:59 PM
welcome to ac!
Cross breeds are more common than you think. People breed mollies with platies or swordtails all the time.
I highly doubt the eggs are fertilized, but if they are, congrtaulations.

crackatinny
01-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Welcome to the best forum on the net, AC :thumb:

AquaQueen
01-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Hello and welcome to AC....I don't know if this applies to all fish eggs but I read somewhere that if you want to know if your fish eggs are fertile or not you can tell by the color of them (like I said I dunno if this is all fish) white means, infertile and a brownish/grayish sometimes black, means fertile