PDA

View Full Version : Oranda loosing color and a few scales!

Ascendant
01-16-2007, 03:47 AM
My tank is going through its cycling period, it's nearly done and only has about 1 week left. With my noobyness I foolishly chose an Oranda and a ryukin to start the cycle.

My Ryukin is going just fine, but my Oranda seems to be loosing abit of its color, its gone from darkish gold to a more light gold. Also, it has a few scales that seem to be missing.

I'm not sure if the scales are damaged from physical activities, or if my Oranda is starting to get ill.

I've been monitoring the tank closely, and lowered the amount of food I feed them to reduce any excess ammonia.

My test kit is arriving in the mail sometime this week, so I cannot give you readings except for my pH. It stands about about 7.3-ish which is apparently fine for Goldfish.

Thanks.

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2007, 01:45 PM
He is probably ill from going thru the ammonia and nitrate spikes. I'm confused here. How could you have monitored the water closely or how do you know you only have about a week left in the cycling if you have not gotten a test kit yet?

It can take 3-4 weeks sometimes to cycle a tank depending on your pH, the water temps, the water itself, whether you've used seeded gravel or not, if you've added bio-spira or stress zyme, how large your tank is and what kind of fish you're using and if your tank is aerated. Also the water temps. A lot of variables go into how long it takes.

Ascendant
01-17-2007, 02:57 AM
According to the guy at the local aquarium shop. They do water tests for nubs like myself. He said there was only about a week left on the cycle.

Water temp is standard room temperature.
Well Oxygenated
100Litre tank

Abbeys_Mom
01-17-2007, 03:02 AM
The fish is probably reacting to the rising levels of ammonia. If he makes it through, he should be ok. I have no experience cycling with goldfish.

Ascendant
01-17-2007, 04:31 AM
Should I do 10% water changes to try to reduce the ammonia? Or will this disturb the cycle?