PDA

View Full Version : FW Clams

teach
10-29-2008, 03:36 AM
This summer I got some clams out of a local lake and put them in my empty 2gal. I was wondering if I put them in my tank would they hurt my fish?

cocoa_pleco
10-29-2008, 04:02 AM
they could possibly bring in disease

teach
10-29-2008, 04:14 AM
Thats why i put them in my 2 gal w/o fish. They have been in there a couple months so I didnt know if they could be "cleaned out" or not.

terrapin24h
10-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Thats why i put them in my 2 gal w/o fish. They have been in there a couple months so I didnt know if they could be "cleaned out" or not.

I would think you'll need to treat said tank with broad spectrum antibiotics and such. And start to introduce them to your tank conditions by filling their tank with water from the main tank a little at a time. Also, make sure the main tank water is good for the (over 7 ph, good kh and gh, etc)

--chris

teach
10-30-2008, 12:46 PM
I would think you'll need to treat said tank with broad spectrum antibiotics and such. And start to introduce them to your tank conditions by filling their tank with water from the main tank a little at a time. Also, make sure the main tank water is good for the (over 7 ph, good kh and gh, etc)

--chris
I was wondering what you meant by broad spectrum antibiotics?

terrapin24h
10-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I was wondering what you meant by broad spectrum antibiotics?

A broad spectrum anitbiot is one that can treat many different families of bacteria(If my bio is correct, they can treat gram neg and gram pos bacteria). Simply put, "they kill lots of stuff". BUT, they can also wallop your biological filter, which is why you generally only want to apply them to a Hosp tank. Amoxacillin is an example of a broad spectrum antibiotic. HTH

--chris

cocoa_pleco
10-30-2008, 02:14 PM
yep, youre right, broad spectrums kill either gram negative or gram positive bacteria

Nightside_Eclipse
10-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't put them in with fish.

I did that once with a large FW mussel... killed my Betta within a few days...

Fishalicious
10-30-2008, 08:20 PM
I have kept both mussels and clams without any problems with my fish however mine were bought in the store and not caught in the wild....