PDA

View Full Version : Once again I am curious about something

teach
10-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I have been playing on the net.(as usual) and I came across newts. I was thinking it would be something fun to use my 10gal for after I get rid of my mollie fry. Anybody have any info about these? Thanks

cocoa_pleco
10-28-2008, 08:46 PM
i tried firebelly's. theyre cool, and a 10g works. personally, i had no luck with them. they all got a disease where their legs got white, rotted off, and died.

firebellies toads are cool too. theyre basically indestructible, ive had 10 in my life (and have 3 now) and i have never had one die before their lifespan

teach
10-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok good deal. I was just curious. Ive been thinking of trying other pets. where i live i have to have aquatic pets only so I thought that would work. so do you know anywhere I can find info about them?

cocoa_pleco
10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Ok good deal. I was just curious. Ive been thinking of trying other pets. where i live i have to have aquatic pets only so I thought that would work. so do you know anywhere I can find info about them?

firebelly newts

http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/amphibians/fire-belly-newt.php

firebelly toads

http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/amphibians/fire-belly-toad.php

teach
10-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Thank you again

smaug
10-28-2008, 09:20 PM
I have never kept newts.Not as an adult.We tried them when I was a kid and they always found a way out of the tank.Read up on them and if you like what you see,gie it a shot.Amphibs are cool wet pets,Im up to 14 frogs now!

teach
10-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Lol that cool. what are some other semi aquatic pets that would fit in a 10gal.

smaug
10-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Honestly,firebelly toads give the best bang for the buck.They are quite active,they have a pleasent call [sounds like a tiny dog barking],they are easy to feed and are not picky about water quality or temp [within reason].

cocoa_pleco
10-28-2008, 09:49 PM
yeah, firebellies are easy. i got mine the hagen terrarium cube tank, filled it with a few inches of water with no substrate so they can run (they need to run or they can get arthritis), a fake plant and driftwood, 5 crickets every 3-4 days and they have been happy for over 2 years

teach
10-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok thanks alot.:19: Ill have to see what the gf thinks. I hope she likes them to lol.

Fishguy2727
10-29-2008, 12:30 AM
cocoa_pleco:
Where you got the newts, were they housed with firebelly toads? If so they may have been injured by the toads. It is not uncommon in crowded, improperly setup, underfed sales tanks for toads to bite and injure newts, especially their legs.

I think firebelly toads are a great pick. There is a care sheet for them in my blog. I have four now in my 55 gallon viquarium (pics in my Photobucket page and a couple threads).

teach
10-29-2008, 01:00 AM
ok i will check that out. I showed my gf pics of toads and she thought they were cute so that will be my next project. but first I have to grow out some mollys to get rid of. So when i get there i will have questions about the tank set up. thanks

cocoa_pleco
10-29-2008, 03:58 AM
fishguy- no they werent. i bought them from wal-mart and a actual LFS, and they were not housed with FBT there and not with me. i have no idea why mine all got that disease