PDA

View Full Version : Old filter, "fresh" tank

orange leader
01-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking of re-starting an aquarium, "for my son".

the last time i had an aquarium was about 6 years ago. It was a salt-water reef.

I'd like to use the filter from that set-up. Is there a reason I shouldn't? It is a wet-dry filter, with a built in protein skimmer, I believe it was rated for about up to a 75 gallon tank, although I had it on a 45, I could be off a little, but I know it was over-rated for the size tank I had.

anyhow, are there any issues I need to know of, or things I need to do to make it useable for fresh water?

Thanks in advance,

orange leader

orange leader
01-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Helllooooo? anyone there?

Abbeys_Mom
01-16-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure. I know most filters are interchangeable between freshwater and salt. The protein skimmer is of no use on a freshwater, but other then that, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Incredulous_Ed
01-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Seems good to me, you can't have too much filtration
how big is the freshwater tank your setting up?

orange leader
01-17-2007, 04:05 AM
Seems good to me, you can't have too much filtration
how big is the freshwater tank your setting up?
I haven't completely decided yet, but i'm leaning towards a 46 bowfront. I've seen a few on craigslist in my area for about what I would have spent on a new regular 45-55gal. I just keep missing them by a few hours each.

I might go to salt water again though. I just wanted to weigh my options here. If this filter HAD to be used for saltwater (because it has shells from barnicles, and spiral fan filterers and the such that were growing in the filter before I had to break it down, then my decision would be easy...SALT! but if I have a choice...well that just takes a little longer, now I have to make a decision, which always takes longer for me.