PDA

View Full Version : Fantail in 21 gal??

Peach
10-28-2008, 04:29 AM
Hi i'm new and I was wondering would I be able to keep a fantail in a 21 gal tank? I used to have 2 ranchu's in there (with 4 zebra danios) for about a day but the tank quickly smelled very bad (so did the entire room!) and the filter became completely clogged! I had to take the 2 ranchu's back!! I'm not sure why that happened but i'm thinking the tank was too small for the ranchu's. Anyway I love goldfish and I heard that fantails were smaller?? So I'm thinking of putting 1 in the 21 gal, is this ok??? Thanks for any advice.

cocoa_pleco
10-28-2008, 04:42 AM
I would say no, the tank is already overstocked, you should have a 55g or at least a 33g for goldies. is your tank cycled?

Mvjnz
10-28-2008, 06:02 AM
My guess would be that the ranchus kept digging around at the bottom, stirring up stuff which messed up the tank and clogged the filter. Goldfish like to do that.

I've noticed a huge difference in my pond in the last day, because yesterday I moved the goldfish from the pond to one of my tanks, and the pond has now cleared up completely. It wasn't too bad before, but you could never see the bottom. Now you can see everything.

A tank that size is ok for a short time, maybe a few months, IF you get a better filter. But they grow very fast (mine have nearly doubled in size in 7 weeks) and will need a bigger tank. They also prefer to be in groups, so you should get at least 2 or 3.

gm72
10-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I say no. Too small unless you have immediate plans for a larger tank with stronger filtration.

labnjab
10-28-2008, 11:06 AM
I say to small, I have 4 in a 55, and they are quickly outgrowing it. I will soon be upgrading them to a 75, and eventually to a 100+, just for 4 of them. They may be smaller then comets, but some can still get close to 10 inches.

Gemstone
10-28-2008, 11:11 AM
No...I would not put them in that tank...they get about as big as the size of ones hand...and some even bigger...and they like playing around with the substrate etc...oh...and they grow very quickly too...(zfish)

labnjab
10-28-2008, 11:15 AM
They are very active too, mine never stop swimming around, (even afer lights out) so the more room, the better.

Peach
10-31-2008, 02:43 AM
Hi, thank you all for your advice! I am now likely going to aquire a 55 gal, so in that case I would like to get a goldfish. But would a goldfish go in a 55 gal tank with 3 mollies??? If not that's ok I have an extra tank for the molies. Anyway my other question is I was thinking of either getting a shubunkin, a lionhead or a fantail, which one would suit the bigger tank better?? Thank you! :c3:

gm72
10-31-2008, 10:37 AM
While fish are widely adaptable, keeping tropical fish (mollies) and cold water fish (goldfish) is not advisable.

I'm sorry that I can't answer your other questions, but one of our other members will be along shortly to help you.

labnjab
10-31-2008, 12:28 PM
They all would need the bigger tank eventually, but I think, but I'm not possitive, the shubukin will get the biggest. How many are you planning on putting in the 55? If its 1 or 2 I think a 55 would be perfect for it for a while. They are a schooling fish If I remember correctly

Fishguy2727
10-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Stick with the round-bodied breeds like fantails, orandas, lionheads, ranchus, telescope eyes, etc. The long-bodied or pond varieties (comet, shubunkin, sarassa, etc.) get too big and are too active.

Actually the temp really isn't an issue. Especially with mollies since mollies are fine in cooler temps, and goldfish are fine in warmer temps. The real issue there is the mollies will nip at the goldfish. We move goldfish from tank to tank at work to help get rid of the extra 'pest' snails that come in on plants. I can only leave one in the molly tanks for an hour or two while it quickly does its job, they are just too nippy.

A 55 is great. Have you read the big goldfish article that is a sticky at the top of the goldfish section? It is also in my blog. That should help you out a lot.

Peach
11-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Thanks I appreciate the replies! Oh so no mollies in with goldfish eh? Thanks Fishguy for pointing out the article and your blog, i'll take a look. As for how many goldfish in the 55g I was thinking maybe 2, I hope that's ok. I MIGHT even decide to go with a 75g, still thinking about it. If I get the 75 will the shubunkin be happier there? Or is it still a no go? I just want to make sure cause' I want to do what will make the fish happier with the best choice. Thanks again :c3:

Fishguy2727
11-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Go as big as you can, you will be happy you did. Many are able to stretch their dollars with good deals on craigslist. I would consider the minimum for any of the long-bodied goldfish to be a 75, but a 125 is better since they are so active and do like to school (6+ in a school).