PDA

View Full Version : Help PLEASE!!!

jenross
10-28-2008, 03:06 AM
Hi All, I am a first time discus owner, went a little overboard on the fish:c3: anyway we have 6 discus in an (approx 30 gall?) tank and have had 2 lots of eggs which the parents(?) are eating! They are protective if the others go near the eggs. I am in sth China so info is on the non-existent side, help less so. Thanks if anyone can help, getting desperate!!

cocoa_pleco
10-28-2008, 03:07 AM
Are the discus the only fish? if they are, someone must be eating them if theyre suddenly dissapearing. parents sometimes eat the eggs the first few times until they get it right, but the other discus may be eating them. i havent kept discus for a while and never bred them so i will leave the rest to the discus experts

discus need at least a 55g, i would look into getting a 75g for 6

jenross
10-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Cocoa, & thanks for your reply...yes only discus!!! Wondering if they are all(mostly) female. 3 lots of eggs now all eaten!!!! Not a lot of info when buying (could be anything / m/f don't know/ boy-girl? yes!! still they wouldn't know)Seems 3 fish have the darkening/mucus thing happening(?)all protective-all eating the eggs & no idea what I am doing right OR wrong.....besides having too small a tank..:) Aahhhhh!!!!!

Gemstone
10-28-2008, 02:18 PM
you have to ask youself the question...do you WANT to breed with them...or not...

If you do...I would suggest you do research and get all that you need in place...otherwise..just love your fish..and let them be and let nature take their course...and yeah...that tank is way too small for them...

Northernguy
10-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Gemstone has the right idea,just let them be and enjoy them.Unless you want to start breeding.
Cocoa is right about needing a bigger tank .
Here is a link that will provide you with more info about your fish.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/discusfish/
How long have you had them?
Got any pics of those beautiful fish?

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Fish that are crowded, as yours are, will often eat their own eggs if the others make them nervous. As cocoa mentioned, they will often eat them anyway but nervous fish are prone to this.

You really need a larger tank but guess you know that.

jenross
10-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Hi & thankyou all for your quick replies, much appreciated! No, not intending to breed them (eggs were totally unexpected, so a bonus) don't have room here for bigger or extra tanks so may have to give a few fish away. Have only had the fish aprox 1 month and 3 batches of eggs all eaten, so just concerned I had major problem. Some "ok" aquariums here but basic and language is a huge problem, so 'fish-keeping by computer' seems the way to go..........
OH..sorry any suggestions as to glass cleaners(fish) Discus seem to like the water here but the tank gets a bit green in spots. A bare tank with some pieces of drift wood.
Thankyou All again,
Cheers
Jenn

Northernguy
10-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Where are you that the language barrier is affecting things?:c2:

jenross
11-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Hi Northernguy,
Thank you for the links,I am in Macau Sth China, a lot of changes going on here and things are getting better re language but that starts at business & hospitality level and trickles down...afraid pets & fish come way down the line so lots of sign language & a little cantonese I have learnt sort of gets me thru ok.... most times!!!!!!