PDA

View Full Version : What kind of pleco is this?

Lady Hobbs
01-15-2007, 10:18 PM
After two weeks was able to get a picture. He runs if I even move towards the tank.

Severus
01-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Don't think it is a pleco at all. Looks like a featerfin catfish. Synodontis Eruptus to be exact

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2007, 02:55 AM
I didn't even see those long feelers until I posted the picture. Thing moves soooo fast. Thank you so much for identifying it. Now I know I will have a giant catfish instead of a giant pleco. :) What good is a catfish, anyway? They eat them in FL and TX.

I sure can find no pictures of it on the web much. Conversations about it but not pictures.

I kinda like him right now but think I need to be thinking about getting rid of him as well. Never have found the second one. Got a feeling he died.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/fish2u_1927_83749565 (http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/fish2u_1927_83730547)

I did find this one picture but this looks quite a bit different from mine in color pattern. Mine is more marbled looking with strips on the end of him.

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Look at this!

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_feather.php

You hit it right on the head, smart boy!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much.

Severus
01-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Check this out. Im almost positive that is what your guy is.. He will get pretty large and like you said it might be good to get rid of him before he gets too big.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_feather.php

Severus
01-16-2007, 03:22 AM
That is weird. We posted that at the exact same time

blue fin
01-16-2007, 04:22 AM
Hobbs, he looks almost the same as my upside down catfish that I posted on the POTM for January..

kimmers318
01-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Whatever he is he is really cool looking!

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Hobbs, he looks almost the same as my upside down catfish that I posted on the POTM for January..

I know. That's why I posted you and asked what it was you had. I thought we had twins.

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
that IS a u.d. cat

Severus
01-16-2007, 02:50 PM
How big is he hobbs?

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Only about 4 inches and already chasing my loaches. What is the difference between a pleco and a catfish anyway?

I remember when the gal was bagging him up, not only did he poke holes in the bag twice and had to be rebagged 3 times, he made a vibrating noise that both her and I just laughed it. It was very audible.

Severus
01-17-2007, 03:28 AM
Im not sure of the differences between the two but i know that is the adult size for a U.D Catfish. If he gets much larger you know he is a Featherfin cat.

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2007, 04:05 AM
Scares me. It would certainly restrict what I can have in a tank with him. Featherfins are tank mates for cichlids. Boy, I think I really messed up here.

He doesn't suck on the glass either which is the reason to get him. Hangs out in the plants and wood and chases the loaches away is about it.

Severus
01-17-2007, 05:03 AM
Yea, i think he is a feathefin and he is going to get pretty big. You might want to reconsider

Slinky_Bass
01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
So the mystery of the mysterious pleco is solved, it does indeed look like a Synodontis eupterus, aka feather-fin catfish and feather-fin squeaker. Beautiful looking fish, sorry to hear the other one has probably passed away
:(

Fishguy2727
01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Definitely Synodontis eupterus, not upside down cat. Same genus, different species. The S. eupterus will hang out upside down if that is the hiding place they prefer. The biggest I have seen is about 7". They can go with anything from small community fish to big cichlids. The other one may still be in there, they are very good at hiding. They usually don't bother anyone else in the tank, but if he is chasing your loaches he may be the exception to the rule. I like these guys a lot, they are nice to have if you don't give them too good of a hiding place.

Severus
01-17-2007, 10:33 PM
i reign supreme. lol

Fishguy2727
01-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Actually I think the featherfin is a separate species as well. I know they are listed separately on our fish availability list at work. The S. eupterus may now be commonly called featherfin, but I am pretty sure they are not really the same species.

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2007, 11:02 PM
reptileguy.......thanks. I just posted you in the cichlid forum that I thought these got about a foot large. After reading much more on them, the size you give here at 7 inches is much more within reason. This size I can live with!

Thanks

Lady Hobbs
01-20-2007, 12:56 AM
Definitely Synodontis eupterus, not upside down cat. Same genus, different species. The S. eupterus will hang out upside down if that is the hiding place they prefer. The biggest I have seen is about 7". They can go with anything from small community fish to big cichlids. The other one may still be in there, they are very good at hiding. They usually don't bother anyone else in the tank, but if he is chasing your loaches he may be the exception to the rule. I like these guys a lot, they are nice to have if you don't give them too good of a hiding place.

You hit it on the head there. I still have both and they are growing fast. Glad to see they aren't aggressive as I sure want to keep them. I think they are kool!

Severus
01-20-2007, 04:43 PM
They are cool. Good luck with them and make sure to post some pictures when they get bigger!

Lady Hobbs
01-29-2007, 02:52 PM
I could get some awesome pictures right now but my camera is out of batteries. My one catfish has decided to spent all his time laying around against the front of the glass. He doesn't hide at all. But he sure doesn't like the loaches any better.

I actually put my finger against the glass and he made a defensive move but he remained right there. Leaves for awhile always to return to same spot.

jeffs99dime
01-29-2007, 06:18 PM
common name-- feather fin catfish

Severus
01-29-2007, 09:34 PM
I could get some awesome pictures right now but my camera is out of batteries. My one catfish has decided to spent all his time laying around against the front of the glass. He doesn't hide at all. But he sure doesn't like the loaches any better.

I actually put my finger against the glass and he made a defensive move but he remained right there. Leaves for awhile always to return to same spot.

Figures doesnt it. perfect picture opportunity that you cant take advantage of. lol