PDA

View Full Version : Missing a day late in the cycle

Sir Tristen
10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
This weekend I will be missing a day of adding ammonia, and I'm in the latter half of my cycle. Will the bacteria be okay for a day of starvation, or will this have adverse effects? I'd hate to set myself back a couple weeks. It's already taking my entire stock of patience.:c2:

terrapin24h
10-27-2008, 02:36 PM
i think i've read they can go 24 hours. Maybe you could spike it a bit before you leave, or throw some flake food in the tank to rot while you're away?

--chris

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2008, 02:39 PM
It should be fine. I don't know as anyone knows "for sure" how long bacteria remains alive. It would probably take a microscope to know for sure but even if some died, most likely not all.

Northernguy
10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
24 hrs should be fine.Can you slow four filter down a little.That may help reduce the die off.
Just a thought!

Scott_S
10-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any reason you couldn't just put a little more ammonia in the last dose before the skip, and do it just before you are leaving.

Heck, I've accidently dosed a (slightly) larger daily dose of ammonia while completely present and available even, and the tank still cycled just fine.