PDA

View Full Version : saving fry?

bettaboy691
01-15-2007, 05:58 PM
my platy has recently giving birth to what i counted to be 5, well that was this morning, i only saw one now, i was wondering as my fry tank is currently being used as a quartine tank and i wasn't expecting her to have the fry so soon, would it be possable to catch the 1 fry and place him in a smallish container with a few plants in and float it on top ot the tank water, i could do daily water changes but its the heating i need, would the heat travel though the plastic sufficently, if the container wouldnt stay afloat what could i use to float it? polystrene,bags filled with air, or should i tie it to the side?please reply A.S.A.P as i dont want this only surviver to have the same fait as his siblings ... eaten.
thanks for any help you give

P.S i usally dont get attached to fry and any extra im sorry to say get eaten but my other fish but my girlfriend wanted my to save it for her tank as i got her into fish keeping she said the least i could do is give her the fish i bred.lol

Drumachine09
01-15-2007, 06:02 PM
what is currently in your quarentine tank?

bettaboy691
01-15-2007, 07:16 PM
in my quartine tank at the moment is some is a pair of female bettas they i got just over a week ago, even if it was possable to put the fry and quartine fish together i wouldn't can it could transfer diesease, what im asking is would my idea work?

Severus
01-15-2007, 09:59 PM
The easiest thing to do instead of biulding your own would be to buy one of the little fry nets they sell at stores. It is exactly what you are talking about but mesh so that he is in the same water and no one can harm him. Good luck

bettaboy691
01-15-2007, 10:19 PM
i was going to buy one at the petshop but the earliest i can get their is thur(out tue,closed wed)i meant a temporary home just so he can survive his first hours of life without being eaten.

Drumachine09
01-16-2007, 12:39 AM
give it a shot. If he dies or get eaten, big whoop. Youll have another half a dozen in a month or so.

bettaboy691
01-16-2007, 04:47 PM
but will the heat transfer though, should i float the plastic box im using in the tank for a few hours so the heat is the same, hes survived 24 hours, is it worth is now, ive watched my tank for ages and hes the only fry i can see so im pretty sure hes the only one so if hes seperated then he should survive providing i give him proper care, which goes without saying.how should i catch him, using a net could be hard given hes always hiding or in corners where nets dont reach, could i suck him up using a turkey baster like i do with snail because the snails always survive so would he?
thanks for your time and help i do apreciate it :-)

bettaboy691
01-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Youll have another half a dozen in a month or so.
oh and speaking of which, my other female is looking rather fatter then usally, but dont worry, i will be more prepeared for the fry this time as the female bettas will be taken out of quartine in a week or so.

Chrona
02-01-2007, 07:29 AM
I currently have 4 platy fry floating in a plastic container at the top of my 10 gallon because I've got nowhere to put them. I just drilled some small holes at the bottom and covered it up with gravel. Every day, I lift the container out, drain 75% of the water, and then put it back in, so it fills up with fresh, mature tank water again. They seem to be doing fine, but I'll probably have to go out and buy another tank because the 10g is already overcrowded :rolleyes: