PDA

View Full Version : My Experiences with BioSpira

gourami*girl
10-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm currently running a 20 gallon tank with a m/2f trio of dwarf gouramis. I started my tank cycling with Biospira so I thought I'd note it's effectiveness in my hands for other's curiosity.

Attempt 1: Using Biospira for fishless cycling.

Added packet of Biospira (enough for a 30 gallon tank) to water containing 1ppm pure ammonia. 2 weeks later: no change in ammonia, no presence of nitrites or nitrates. Decided packet was either dead, or pouring bacteria into ammonia water before they established killed them. Next try I decide to do it the way they write on the packet.

Attempt 2: Using Biospira with fish for cycling.

Got another packet of Biospira from the LFS. Waited 24 hours, then added my trio of gouramis. Following are my readings:

For the first few days:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5ish

After about a week:
Ammonia - between 0 and 0.25
Nitrites - between 0.25 and 0.5
Nitrates - between 5 and 10

Present (after a week and a half):
Ammonia - between 0.25 and 0.5
Nitrites - 1
Nitrates - 10

I've been doing 50% water changes every 2 days or so to keep ammonia and nitrites down. Fish seem fine and happy, no signs of ammonia poisoning.

So my thoughts are that the Biospira is working (I have never seen a high ammonia level and after just 2 weeks my tank is well on its way to cycled). I think there were bacteria present, but not enough to control the bioload of this tank. Therefore, it does not work as well as it is advertised. You cannot simply add Biospira, completely stock your tank, and forget about it.

Conclusions: 1) Don't add Biospira to ammonia containing water.
2) If using fish and Biospira, add just a few hardy fish at first b/c there will be a cycle.
3) Monitering water parameters and frequent water changes are necessary.
4) Biospira can be used to speed up a fish cycle.

Hope this information helps someone :19:

Sir Tristen
10-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Good info Gourami Girl! I'll file that away for future use. . . if I ever find a fish store that sells the stuff.

Red
10-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Good info!
Thanks for tracking it!

gm72
10-26-2008, 03:28 PM
In a well-seeded tank you can get the same if not better results without using the product, but good information for those who are curious to try.

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Its a good plan for a first tank. :19:

C-Dub
10-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Nice work, I've always wondered how exactly it worked as I cannot find it at any lfs by me either

gourami*girl
10-26-2008, 08:12 PM
In a well-seeded tank you can get the same if not better results without using the product, but good information for those who are curious to try.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing, but unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a fish tank. So, this seems like it could be an alternative to getting some gravel or filter media.

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 08:27 PM
You know us!:11:

Algenco
10-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I thought they quit making Bio-spira back in the spring, yours must have been old

gourami*girl
10-27-2008, 11:57 AM
I thought they quit making Bio-spira back in the spring, yours must have been old

That's a scary thought... I assumed it was good b/c it was in the fridge and I would hope they wouldn't keep products past expiration, but I couldn't actually find a date. Might explain some things.

gourami*girl
10-27-2008, 11:58 AM
You know us!:11:

lol, yes I do, but I don't think the bacteria would make it all the way down from northern canada!

CHurst5841
10-27-2008, 09:16 PM
The PetLand near me sells the stuff except that it is not refrigerated. I checked out the bottle and it says that it's a new formula and doesn't require refrigeration.

s72450
11-09-2008, 03:03 AM
I cannot find this stuff anywhere, can you order it online?

kkaustin812
12-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Good article. Only thing is is 1 ppm ammonia isnt gonna kill anything, especially nitrifying bacteria.

gourami*girl
12-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Good article. Only thing is is 1 ppm ammonia isnt gonna kill anything, especially nitrifying bacteria.

Didn't seem likely to me either, but it was a possibility. And just as a note, 1ppm is enough to kill fish.

The bacteria in the Biospira and similar packs have been lying dormant for months. When cells of any sort, including bacteria, have been in dormancy they need to be handled gently when pulling them back up. It was possible that in their sensitive state the 1ppm ammonia was enough to kill the bacteria.

More likely, though, is that the first packet I got was already dead. It turns out the Biospira I bought was probably old, even the second package which certainly contained some live cultures didn't do much for keeping nitrites down. Just now, weeks after writing this original article, has my tank completely cycled.

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
BioSpira is now only sold for saltwater tanks. Tetra Aqua SafeStart has taken it's place for freshwater. This saved these stores from having to carry refrigerators and overnight shipping charges to have this product in their stores.

BioSpira is to be added at the same time as the fish before there are any deductable ammonia levels. It should not be used along with pure ammonia as this defeats the purpose of using bio-spira (or any of these bacteria boosters) to start with.