PDA

View Full Version : Just the temp, or ...?

BettaSei
10-26-2008, 03:07 AM
So, I figured out that my Betta was having some issues with temperature, and I got a lamp that throws heat to act as a psuedo heater.

Well, my suitemates, thinking that I was careless turned my lamp off without my knowledge, and with the lowered temperature throughout the dorm it was chilly for him. Yesterday we lost power just after I had the temperature coming up. Before power came back, I had to go to an overnight job that I recently returned from. His water was 68 when I got back and I immediately turned on the lamp as a heater. It's starting to warm up, as it's now at 69.

However, Poseidon's refusing to eat completely. He's normally a beggar and a savage with his food, consuming as much as he can as quick as he can, but he came up begging, and wouldn't touch it...

Should I be worried it's something else or assume it's the low temperature? Other than his appetite he's acting himself.

cocoa_pleco
10-26-2008, 03:11 AM
its the low temperature, hes probably in shock/conserve heat mode and eating isnt on his list of to do. i would look into getting a small 15w or 25w heater, the stress could lead him to getting ick

BettaSei
10-26-2008, 03:18 AM
The lamp had been keeping his tank between 80 and 84... it was the lack of power for 12 hrs that had EVERYONE freezing from what I hear. The dorm as a whole saw temperatures in the 50s last night.... My suitemate was telling me about it as I reminded her to leave whatever lights I had on my side alone.

Thanks... I guess I'll just keep an eye on him till it's back to normal.

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 03:18 AM
Betas need heat and clean filtered water.They are fish in a controlled environment ,not the wild.
Sorry,thats just my opinion!

BettaSei
10-26-2008, 03:21 AM
Thanks. Normally it's very controlled. It was a bad storm - some cell off of a tropical storm or something like that... cut off power to my whole city.

I try to keep it as controlled as I can. I have a filter and do waterchanges every week and a half to keep it clean. I just get really worried about him acting strange. I really hate when it's things out of my control that cause problems.

Kayla-Bug
10-26-2008, 09:05 PM
What size is his tank?

BettaSei
10-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Here's an update.

Poseidon's tank is currently at 82. At lunch - his normal feeding time- he ate a little. not as much as normal for him, but it's an improvement. He's still really active (and even came when I called him this morning... made me so happy). I think he's doing a little better. I gave him a good look over and he looks fine.

Kayla - It's about 3-4 gallons I think.... I'm not completely sure.

mrs fishpatrick
10-27-2008, 08:16 PM
have to agree with cocoa_pleco and advice to get him a heater

Kayla-Bug
10-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Yea, petco or petsmart sells those Jr. Aquatic heaters for tanks 2-5 gallons. I would get him a heater ASAP!

BettaSei
10-27-2008, 10:25 PM
I have a lamp in there that works just like a heater. I am currently broke beyond broke because of school. Ramen is too expensive in my eyes right now.

Kayla-Bug
10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Whenever you get about $5 run to the pet store because mini heaters don't cost that much.