PDA

View Full Version : Curious Maroon Clown

bklearjet
10-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Hi there, I bought a 29gal Nano recently. It is completely running with a Maroon Clown, Hippo Tang, finger leather coral, few snails, couple of hermits, and about 30 lbs live rock with coraline. It also has a wavy thingie that I can't remember the name, about 50 little pods expose these "leaves" that wave in the water. When I got the tank, it had no sand, so I set it up with live sand in my place. Anyway, the maroon clown is always fanning the sand away from his/her home in the corner. Why does it do that? Is it pissed off? Hates sand? Showing territorial traits? I added a white spotted puffer today, and the clown fanned the sand many many times. What's his problem? He is so timed, but so aggressive it seems.

cocoa_pleco
10-26-2008, 01:32 AM
its normal, they sometimes do that

be warned, that blue hippo will need a 180g+ soon

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-26-2008, 01:48 AM
If I were that clown, I wouldn't be happy either. Neither the Tang or the Puffer belong in that tank, they both need much larger tanks. To go along with that, your puffer is not reef safe and you will see snails and crabs disappear soon. I'm not trying to sound negative here but you are headed for a disaster in that tank, those 2 fish need new homes and they need them right away. Move those 2 out and your clown will be happier. It may still hollow out a place in the sand, that's just part of what they do, but it won't be cramped by the other 2 fish.

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 01:55 AM
I have to agree with the Cocoa and ILuvMyGoldBarb!

I would like to welcome you to the fabulous AC!
Sorry if it started out that way!:11:

bklearjet
10-26-2008, 02:48 AM
The clown and tang have lived together for 3 years, say's the prior owner. Everyone seems to be getting along tonight, but the clown shuns the puffer away from the clowns home, very gently I may add. the tang and puffer are getting along as well. Back to my original question, why does the clown fan the sand?

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Its easier and you will get more replies in the saltwater section of the forum!
http://http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/clownfish/maroon.php

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-26-2008, 03:00 AM
The clown and tang have lived together for 3 years, say's the prior owner. I don't believe that for 1 minute. That Tang wouldn't survive that long in a tank that size and if it did, it would certainly not be healthy. Furthermore, just because the guy told you it had been in there for 3 years doesn't mean it should be there.

the tang and puffer are getting along as well. They may get along but it doesn't mean they belong in the tank. The puffer just as much as the Tang.

Back to my original question, why does the clown fan the sand?
He fans it to hollow out a place in the sand. It is kind of like hosting behavior. He is establishing his territory.

Halelorf
10-26-2008, 05:10 AM
He is so timed, but so aggressive it seems.

You would be surprised at how aggressive a clown fish can be. Maroons are considered by many to be the most aggressive. As others have said in this thread, that tank needs some serious restocking. I am sorry to say but it is headed for major disaster.

kaybee
10-26-2008, 06:26 AM
After 3yrs, how big are the clown and tang, and what size tank were they previously kept in?

dean30bb
10-28-2008, 01:12 AM
G,day and welcome to the A.C:19: :19: