PDA

View Full Version : breeding oscars

themikeyman
01-15-2007, 02:03 PM
my Oscars are showning all the signs that they are preparing to breed.. but then again i can't be sure.. just a guess.
But i did put a flat, smooth rock in there and they have been concentrating on it for days now and are constantly cleaning and clearing the gravel around it. They are doing the body shivers, tail slapping, rubbing up against eachother, flaring and mouthing eachother.
BTW i say mouthing cause i've never seen them lock before they just come at eachother flaring with their mouths wide open bump into eachother then repeat and no physical harm is done is that normal ?
But i was just wondering if one doesn't get like excessively plump does that mean they are not ready to breed and shes not full of eggs?
If the female is not fat does that mean they can't lay eggs. Cause niether of them are really fat. Well not fatter than usual.
Oh and another question, with the vent thing one of my oscars has one thats alwasy visible and its liek pointy im guessing this is the male, whereas the other ones doesnt show, oscasionally it is visible but not like the other.
Is there a chance that this is a female or are some of these vents just not as visible as others?
I've read here that the females vent should be more oval or something.. but i can't really tell or understand what that means.

Abbeys_Mom
01-15-2007, 04:21 PM
What size are the Oscars and what size is the tank?

themikeyman
01-16-2007, 01:13 AM
They are both around 8inch and my tank is 55g and yeah i know as i've already been told that it will soon be to small for them.

Abbeys_Mom
01-16-2007, 03:04 AM
If they in a 55g, they probably won't breed. Fish need plenty of room before they spawn.

themikeyman
01-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Ohh really.. darn. thanks anyway Abbeys Mom.

Abbeys_Mom
01-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Are you planning on getting a bigger tank for them? If you got one big enough I am sure they would breed no problem. It certainly sounds like they are a pair. You would need a lot of room to raise the babies though.

themikeyman
01-17-2007, 12:51 AM
i'd certainly love too.. but i can honestly say not anytime soon.. Its jsut very hard firstly because of Money and second where to put it. But id love too

themikeyman
01-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Here's a picture of them.. i take care of them the best i can.. and id liek to believe they are very healthy and happy.. i know soon they'll out grow their tank but they are happy atm. see they are flaring at eachother.

TehTANK
01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Here's a picture of them.. i take care of them the best i can.. and id liek to believe they are very healthy and happy.. i know soon they'll out grow their tank but they are happy atm. see they are flaring at eachother.

They are incredibly beautiful fish! I am an Oscar lover as well. I have 2 of them in my 90 Gallon. You can see video of mine in the Video section of this forum or there are many pictures of my beloved fish all over the site.

Thanks for sharing!

Severus
01-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Your Oscars look great!

themikeyman
01-31-2007, 06:54 AM
thanks guys

deckard_wa
01-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Did I spot a GT in that pic too? If so then mate you're gonna have problems soon

themikeyman
02-03-2007, 05:54 AM
well yeah you did.. problems how so?? For the OScars or the GT itself. They get along very well. At the moment anyway. But yeah