PDA

View Full Version : Water parameters for mts

Sir Tristen
10-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I have recently added some mts snails that I got with plants to my aquarium, and they seemed to be doing fine through the cycling process, but recently have gotten to the point where they hardly move. I thought one was dead last night, but it's alive, if only barely. The only things that have changed are that my nitrite finnaly spiked and I upped the temp to 84 degrees. As the temp was wilting my already struggling wisteria, I turned the temp down a bit.

Do temp or nitrites adversely affect mts's? What can I do for them?

smaug
10-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Nitrite ,nitrate and ammonia affect all living things.Your mts will do fine once your tank has cycled.Then you will be back here asking how to get rid of them!

Fishalicious
10-25-2008, 05:51 PM
The spike is most likely affecting them as Smaug says ... once cylced MTS are really not fussy snails and will live in cold & warm water. If they are happy they mainly stay buried under the substrate and venture out at night. If they climb the tank glass up to the top during the day in a mass it is usually sign that something is wrong with your water paramters.

Northernguy
10-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Water changes should clear that up. I hope you like snails!:c3:

Sir Tristen
10-26-2008, 04:21 AM
Hmmm. Well, I hope my current friends survive the cycle, because I don't want to change water and slow anything down. Things don't look good. If not, I can get them for free from the local petsmart. I mainly want them for keeping my sand from compacting as much, but the clean up they do and their general appearance interest me as well. The only problem is, the little pond snails in the tank that came with the plants seem to be doing just fine. They are very small though, so I could be wrong. I wouldn't mind it a bit if they disappeared.

Alfcea
10-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Just adding my two cents. I agree with all the previous posts, but I want to add that many chemicals (and this includes nitrogenated and particularly nitrites) are more toxic at higher temperatures than at lower temperatures...

Both mts and pond snails are very strong and do not fuss about water parameters much. Some will survive the cycle and then you'll be wondering what to do with them! Also, in my experience, if there is not enough food for the ponds, they will happily devour all your plants! I hope that does not happen to you...

kazinvan
10-27-2008, 09:44 PM
What is a mts snail?

Sir Tristen
10-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Maylasian trumpet snail. They are the conical shaped snails that burrow in your substrate, especially sand, and keep it from compacting. Probably the most useful snail you'll find.