PDA

View Full Version : midas colour change.

themikeyman
01-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi have a 6inch Barred Midas. i havnt had him long maybe only 2 months it was given to me from my friend who didnt want to care for it anymore.. when i got it was striped like a convict. Actually most people who saw it thought it was just a big convict. But jsut recently it changed color heaps. It went from striped black and white to being half yellow and black. Black along the top and yellow on the belly going up to its sides and even its fins are yellow. Is this normal for them to change color like this.. for about the first couple of weeks it was the same and its very healthly. It lives with my 2 8inch Red Tiger Oscars, my 4inch convict and 4inch GT. He gets along with them all fine except for the Convict he like to chase it if it gets to close. He has a huge apetite sometimes i could swear he eats more than the Oscars. So he is in good condition. So yeah back to my orginal question is it normal for them to change colours like this?

Sorry about the long post.

Mike.

jeffs99dime
01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi have a 6inch Barred Midas. i havnt had him long maybe only 2 months it was given to me from my friend who didnt want to care for it anymore.. when i got it was striped like a convict. Actually most people who saw it thought it was just a big convict. But jsut recently it changed color heaps. It went from striped black and white to being half yellow and black. Black along the top and yellow on the belly going up to its sides and even its fins are yellow. Is this normal for them to change color like this.. for about the first couple of weeks it was the same and its very healthly. It lives with my 2 8inch Red Tiger Oscars, my 4inch convict and 4inch GT. He gets along with them all fine except for the Convict he like to chase it if it gets to close. He has a huge apetite sometimes i could swear he eats more than the Oscars. So he is in good condition. So yeah back to my orginal question is it normal for them to change colours like this?

Sorry about the long post.

Mike.

stress can cause color changes in all fish. stress can be caused by many things including fluctuations in water parameters, onslaught of disease/infection, etc. some fish change color to blend in with their surroundings. vibrations from people walking around the tank can also cause stress. my advice would be to just monitor him and pay special attention to when he changes color or lack there of and see if you can narrow down the possibilities.--jeff

themikeyman
01-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Thanks Jeff yeah ill check him out. But i dont think stress is the problem, but i think the thing you told me about the other fish affecting him.. that might be the case cause my Oscars seemed to have paired up and are kinda giving him a hard time. still i'll look into it thanks again. :thumb:

themikeyman
01-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Sorry i just reread that haha. I mean i think stress might be caused by the other fish around him. lol

Drumachine09
01-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Ok, this is a HUUUUUUUUUGE shot in the dark here, but lets think here. The nam is a midas, like king midas, who could touch them and CHANGE them into gold.....eh???eh??????? yeah, i got nothing.

themikeyman
01-16-2007, 01:54 AM
haha thats funnny is that king midas thing true.. i mean is there a real story about some king midas.

BUt on another note.. Is there a chance that this is actually its natural color.. like its actually happy now and more relaxed.. From when i got him with all the stripes.. stress from the move, new tank, new tank mates.. etc. Could this be a possibility??

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 02:35 AM
it's a definite possibility! you can probably count on it actually

Severus
01-16-2007, 03:32 AM
haha thats funnny is that king midas thing true.. i mean is there a real story about some king midas.

BUt on another note.. Is there a chance that this is actually its natural color.. like its actually happy now and more relaxed.. From when i got him with all the stripes.. stress from the move, new tank, new tank mates.. etc. Could this be a possibility??

That story is true. Just to be safe i would watch him and make sure he isnt lethargic or something... then you know he is stressed.

themikeyman
01-16-2007, 12:04 PM
This might help in showing you what i mean about his colour change. What do yous think ?
The First one where its striped is when i got it.
The second where it is half yellow and grey is now and how its been for quite some time now.
Personally i think it looks more attractive like this.. Hehe
BUt then again if its stressed i'll do all i can to make it happy again, its a pretty cool fish.