PDA

View Full Version : Pleco ???????

Northernguy
10-25-2008, 03:18 PM
I have tried getting my pleco to eat lettuce ,spinach,zuucini,cucumber.....
I have never seen him eat anything since I got him but algae and driftwood.
I see him eating some flake food but thats it. He looks good and does not appear to be starving.Am I worrying for nothing?
This guy is so shy that he hides whenever I am near the tank.

gm72
10-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I think you have nothing to worry about. He's looking healthy but is shy, that's okay.

sailor
10-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Have you tried putting in the veggies at lights out at night? Just make sure you remove any uneaten veggies in the morning so they don't foul your water perameters. There are a lot of species of pleco that are more active at night.

Northernguy
10-25-2008, 03:39 PM
There are two oscars in the tank that love the salad idea as well.I will try it tonight when the tank is blacked out!I have tried with the moonlights on with no luck.:19:
Thanks Sailor!

Gayle
10-25-2008, 03:40 PM
I would not worry at all. He maybe just does not like that sort of food. You tried any blood worms? Mine loves blood worms, and he also loves fry food (first bites) he gets really excited when I put either of them in the tank.

Northernguy
10-25-2008, 06:58 PM
I haven't tried bloodworms for him yet.I'll see what happens tonight!
Thanks!

fraggle
10-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I'd leave some in overnight like Sailor said mate, I've never seen my guy eat it during the day, and like your Oscars, mine loves it too, but I put it in about half hour after the light have gone out and Okka is nearly asleep, and in the morning it's all nearly gone

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 12:51 AM
I will try tonight and see! Thank you:19:

angelcakes
10-26-2008, 09:37 AM
you might also want to try prawns my pleco went crazy for these:19:
your pleco sounds healthy enough :19:

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 02:32 PM
I hope he ate last night.I can't tell.The shell I used was on the other side of the tank this morning.That was definately the Os.
I'll just keep an eye on him .He does eat the algae off the backwall and the driftwood so I am sure he is not starving.
I guess I was just hoping to watch him eat.
I really like to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:18:

angelcakes
10-26-2008, 03:00 PM
youve the same as what i had before my big pleco died :ssad: oscars and pleco, i learnt feed the oscars first and then feed your plec,but either way your pleco will not starve down to the oscars being messy eaters the pleco should eat all there waste,

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Thats the one reason I am not that worried.Oscars are slobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:18:

angelcakes
10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Thats the one reason I am not that worried.Oscars are slobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:18:
got to agree there lol mines not long dined on earthworms and my bichir is helping out:laugh1blue:

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 03:34 PM
One bite of a shrimp pellet and there is a cloud of crumbs.Its amazing.I won't feed mine live because of the mess they make.I will always have oscars though.
You have to clean up after them daily .They tear the crap out of your plants .Move anything they are able.
They are so cool and always entertaining.

angelcakes
10-26-2008, 03:39 PM
One bite of a shrimp pellet and there is a cloud of crumbs.Its amazing.I won't feed mine live because of the mess they make.I will always have oscars though.
You have to clean up after them daily .They tear the crap out of your plants .Move anything they are able.
They are so cool and always entertaining.
ive got lead free fishing weights keeping a real plant down in my tank which works well and as for entertaining there comical

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 04:30 PM
I tried a live plant.They must have thought it was a salad.It lasted 3 minutes tops!
You are lucky to have a live plant in yours.I would love to one in there.Right now they are trying to move the driftwood.
:19: Fat chance, not till next year!

AShraderJr
10-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I am surprised I haven't heard anything about algae Wafers. I had a sailfin Pleco. That unfortunately died shortly after he broke the 16inch mark due to a heater failure while I was away. That absolutley loved the Hikari Algae Wafers. I fed him one in the morning and one in the evening just to keep him satisfied. Is this not recommended?

Northernguy
10-29-2008, 01:57 AM
Absolutely plecos love those! But the converation switched over to Oscars having fun!

AShraderJr
10-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Oh Alright! I saved an Oscar from an abandoned rental property a few years back. He did love to mess stuff up.

Rkrebs
10-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Is it possible for the Pleco to just exist on a steady diet of Algea?? I have quite a bit of algea in my tank right now. I am sure he will have to eat something else eventually, but I am constantly scraping the algea off my tank walls and removing some of the objects in here to clean them.

Northernguy
10-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Rkrebs you can read about his diet in here:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/pleco.php

You should also start a new thread for more answers.

Jacolene
11-01-2008, 09:15 AM
What kind of plec do you have? Some like fedgies but some are more for meat? Yu need to find out more about the specie and then it should be easy to figer out what he like to eat. As for watching him/her, I find by just sitting very very still for a little bit everyday till they get use to you realy help!