PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy lying or what?...

Ascendant
01-15-2007, 07:35 AM
Hey, I spotted a vid of this dudes aquarium. It seems that his either lying in his video, OR, I didnt know something about aquariums.

It seems that he has a heater, but has goldfish in an heated aquarium. I spotted out various goldfish including a Shubunkin and a Ryukin in there...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7363298150818795779

Let me know, because I've got Ryukins and if they can go in heated waters with tropical fish, I might do that.

Cheerio's.

DemonShark
01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
You can have a heater although it will decrease the fish's life and also he proubly had the heater for the plants

Lady Hobbs
01-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Goldfish and warm water fish do not belong together. Some do keep them together however but still not a good idea.

Abbeys_Mom
01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
The guy need to learn how to spell. Nice plants, not too much know how.

Severus
01-15-2007, 09:55 PM
He seems somewhat uninformed. As everyone said goldfish should not be housed with warm water fish and do just fine without a heater

Faith_at_Large
01-16-2007, 06:06 AM
The videographer may not realize it, but it appears that he or she has documented what happens when someone starts an aquarium with no advance preparation or research, and did not appear to learn from his or her mistakes (I stopped the video about half way through, may be there was a happy ending). I saw a documentary of a person who set up a large aquarium with all the bells and whistles. A large size, lots of equipment (hopefully a including decent filter), lots of live plants and an assortment of fish - but no consideration for the needs of the plants or the fish. The fish started dying before the heater broke down, the broken heater was simply something "obvious" that the owner could "fix" by buying a new one. The owner also "fixed" the problem of dying fish and plants by purchasing new ones. A little advanced preparation through the library or internet, and shopping for a supplier that at least appears knowledgeable about the hobby (check their fish stocks), and the burgeoning aquarist would have known that all goldfish are cold water fish and would not do well in the tropical paradise that was being developed. A little more time and effort and other problems could have been discovered and treated. Such a nice big tank could have been put in a more suitable location and geared up nicely to host a variety of compatible fish that could have provided years of enjoyment.

I am only a beginner in this hobby, and hardly qualified to give advice, but I recognise that my fish are living things and should not be subject to lethal trial and error while I try to figure everything out. Sometimes fish die before their time, things happen, but it is my responsibility to do what ever I can to avoid unnecessary pain and suffering for my fish (and especially to avoid being the cause) - this means taking the time to plan my aquarium before setting anything up, and knowing what kind and how many fish can be accommodated by the type of set up that I have (or want to have) before bringing the first fish home. It also means being patient and not rushing into anything (i.e. adding more fish) while my aquarium establishes itself (and understanding why that must be and what that means). Sometimes, it can be hard to get all the right information, but it is essential for my fish that I know whether they like to be alone or in groups, what their environmental preferences (requirements) are, whether they can be with different species in their aquarium, and how big will they get - and will one type of fish eat the other.

I hope that the video diarist eventually sorted out his or her aquarium and is able to provide a decent home for all of his or her future fish. And I hope that no one will be imitating him - forums like this are a great place to sort out confusing information and allow contact with more experienced aquarists.

bettaboy691
01-16-2007, 05:28 PM
what the hell wat this guy thinking when he started his tank, i think he has just thrown a buch of plants in along with the fish he like and hopes they will be fine,without the goldfish, and properly informed this person could have had a lovely tropical freshwater tank, OR without the tropical fish and heater a beautiful goldfish tank,much better then those horrid goldfish bowls,shame he lost a few fish to start.its a good video to show first time aquarists what NOT to do,glad it worked out in the end(sort of) atleast he had s good planted tank with healthy fish, even if the fish weren't really conpatable

Full3R
01-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Every time ive had goldfish in heated water they die, but i believe they breed in higher temps

cocoa_pleco
01-17-2007, 01:16 AM
not me. I was not informed when i got my first aquarium. I got a tiny 35 cent feeder fish from wal-mart, and put him in a 33g tropical tank. he has done fine, and lived in my tank for 4 years. he got about 13 inches long, and ate crickets. ( i fed my albino clawed frog and african butterfly fish crickets and he stole some). he seemed not to mind the 77f temp. he used to spit all the gravel to one side of the tank to the other. then, because of the heat, he started to get hyper. I had no extra tanks at the time, so i sold him for a whopping 75$ to someone with a huge pond.

anyways, goldfish need cold water to live happy.:1:

jeffs99dime
01-17-2007, 01:27 AM
not a big fan of goldfish myself. i do like koi however

Severus
01-17-2007, 03:34 AM
not a big fan of goldfish myself. i do like koi however

Im not that into goldfish either. A koi pond would be pretty cool though!

Full3R
01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I love Black Moors and Racnhus, but still hoping to set up my koi pond soon ;)

jeffs99dime
01-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Im not that into goldfish either. A koi pond would be pretty cool though!

my brother's gilrfriends' parents are veteranarians. they have two gigantic koi ponds on their farm. i think there 2000 gallons each with a big waterfall in between. it's crazy! they have a pump house just for the ponds! and a 5 acre garden throughout. they take care of all of it by themselves. pretty amazing. the upper pond has the juveniles and the lower has the adults.

Severus
01-17-2007, 10:35 PM
That sounds like an impressive setup. Wish i could have something like that! lol