PDA

View Full Version : Angels - should I try a different pairing?

MiamiCuse
10-24-2008, 07:37 AM
My two angels are still with the babies which are now dime sized. I have counted about 35 of them and I am trying to figure out what to do with so many babies...and they are growing in amazing speed. I might have to give some to the LFS.

I understand that angels spawn every month or so, and it has been at least 2 months since they last spawn, do they stop the spawn cycle while they are tending babies?

Another question I had, and this may be a really stupid question - is it a good idea to swap out the male angel in the current pair to try to breed a different kind of angels? I had three different kinds of angels, and the pair that are currently tending to babies, they are now in a tank by themselves with the baby angels. I used to have another male angels with them and some tetras, but they got territorial and aggressive so I moved the rest to a 29 gallon tank.

Just out of curiosity, I introduced the other male angel back into the tank to see what would happen, and just as I expected, the male in the pair got all upset and started to chase and peck at the new male. They locked jaw and was doing the back and forth movement until the female in the pair came to help. She did not peck at the new male but instead just nudge him out of the way. I am wondering if I should leave the new male in the tank and take the daddy male out to another tank, and move the babies out with the dad. Will this encourage the female to pair with the new male and breed?

country_boy454
10-24-2008, 11:47 AM
My pair of angels spawn about every 12-18 days. Whether or not they have fry according to the previous owner. I have had them for month or so now and they are on their 5th batch of eggs. Just laid them last night!

Algenco
10-24-2008, 12:55 PM
They will temporarily stop spawning while the tend the brood

Why do you want to break up the pair? The only reasons I would change males
are if the pair wasn't compatible, poor spawns, or a desire to breed a different variant.
Since you at present have no outlet for the babies I see no reason to breed them.

With your location you might have a difficult time finding a shop that will take them, you never know until you try.

Fishalicious
10-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Every Angel couple is different they will not spawn on demand or spawn at precise times... water quality and many other factors attribute to their spawning behaviour. Many Angels will not spawn once they have a brood growing and will resume later ... Once a couple spawn though they will always keep spawning as they have 'paired' up.

Why you would want to split up a paired couple or pitch another male against another is just puzzling to me. This is just causing stress to the fish for no reason as far as I can see ....

Lady Hobbs
10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Angel pairs are about the only way you can keep them due to their aggression. I would put a piece of slate or PVC pipe in their tank and when they spawn, just remove it with the eggs.

MiamiCuse
10-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I guess I wanted to see if the other male (a different colored angel) will pair up and give a different variant of babies.

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 01:50 AM
You can do some reading about your angels here:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/angelfish2.php

Got any pics of your angels?:c3: