PDA

View Full Version : When To Begin?

s72450
10-24-2008, 07:34 AM
I tend to get items for my tank one at a time and I've already got the tank ready to go and I just picked up some substrate but I'm missing any decor and I was curious if I could begin to cycle and add in the decor as I get it.

fins_n_fur
10-24-2008, 07:41 AM
No reason not to get the tank cycling--the decor is not going to add much to the cycle, unless you are going for real plants.

W_Oz
10-24-2008, 08:03 AM
No reason not to get the tank cycling--the decor is not going to add much to the cycle, unless you are going for real plants.
Yep, just add water and a filter. That'll be enough to get things rolling... that and a bottle of ammonia.

s72450
10-24-2008, 08:12 AM
I think eventually I'm going to plant this tank, but not until after the new year for sure, cash is low.

Also, should I use my AquaSafe on the water to make it safe for fish even though there are no fish in the tank and I'll have to do a nearly complete water change before I do put fish into the tank? I don't want to waste any of my product if I don't have to do so.

Oh and are the testing kits at Wal-Mart any good? I'm fairly limited in where I can get supplies and I want to do this right.

fins_n_fur
10-24-2008, 08:18 AM
You could use some AquaSafe to remove any chlorine or chloramines from the water before you start your cycle. If Walmart sells API drop test kits, that is the way to go (stay away from the strip-type tests.) Minimumly you'll need to test for ammonia first, then nitrites, then nitrates. So, if need be, you can buy a kit a week. And plain old ammonia (cheapest, unscented, no name brands tend to be great). If you have your heater already, get that in and get to the tank water to 85 degrees or so to promote the bacterial growth.

s72450
10-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Where do they sell just plain old ammonia? Can I find that at Wal-Mart as well?

fins_n_fur
10-24-2008, 08:36 AM
You should be able to, or an ace hardware store if there is one near to you.

s72450
10-24-2008, 08:42 AM
We have an Ace store, I'll check there. Thanks for all your help, I know it's alot of questions to ask, but I want to do this right.

fins_n_fur
10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
No worries, that's why we are here.