PDA

View Full Version : 37 for goldies?

invadertoast
10-24-2008, 01:55 AM
I admit to keeping fancies in a 20 gallon back in the days before I actually wanted to learn about my fish. I am now aware goldfish are very dirty and require alot of space. My mom really wants a goldfish tank, and wants to buy a 37 gallon mirror back tank with an Eclipse 3 lighting/filtration system for them. Dimensions are 30 x 12 x 23 - would it be okay for a couple pearlscales? I'm thinking it's too small, but don't know if she could get away with a smaller variety of fancy. Mostly she wants that particular tank for the mirror back, but also it's on sale and will fit in the basement next to the up-coming tiger barb tank.

I think I should give her my 55, but she's stil conviced it will break the floor (this is concrete floor in the basement, lol) Somehow a 37 and a 20 next to eachother won't be as heavy in her mind :rolleyes:

cocoa_pleco
10-24-2008, 02:05 AM
rule is 20g for 1 goldy, 10g each thereafter, so you could have 3 goldfish or 2 goldfish and a smaller coldwater fish

Fishguy2727
10-24-2008, 02:19 AM
There are not really any smaller breeds. They all get huge. A guy on another forum was explaining how he talks with a lot of breeders and that in reality almost all goldfish have the potential to hit 8" and that if they don't it was probably because lof low water quality and diet.

In that size tank you could do two or three goldfish, depending on your water change schedule, filtration, diet, etc.

A 55 is 18" longer, so it will help spread out the weight better than that tank would.

Please check out the articles on stocking an aquarium and goldfish (both are in my blog as well as stickies), both should help you out a lot.

invadertoast
10-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Thank you both! If she decides to get the tank I would be in charge of water changes anyway. Maybe she can start them in the 37 and we can set up the 55 at a later date (I don't have anything for it besides the tank itself.)

Fishguy - I will definately check out your blog, thanks!