PDA

View Full Version : Betta flaring too much?

Sasquatch
10-24-2008, 01:28 AM
My girlfriend just bought a betta for our 5g. Whenever he goes along the back of the tank he flares at the glass. I guess he can see his reflection on the background we put there.

My questions is, can he do this too much? Everytime he's at the back of the tank, he flares, and he spends a lot of time back there.

I know that a certain amount of flaring is a good thing and that you need to "exercise" your betta by making him flare ... but is there too much of a good thing?

Thanks.

Red
10-24-2008, 01:33 AM
i dont think so, as long as he does not hurt himself

invadertoast
10-24-2008, 01:40 AM
My Plakat flared all the time at everything that moved, be it his reflection or anything moving in the room outside his tank. He settled in after a couple months and stopped flipping out at everything. I see him do it at night when the room lights go ff, but that's about it. Your new guy will probably get used to his surroundings/reflection and stop sometime, although it's not really a bad thing.

DragonGoby
10-24-2008, 12:51 PM
We decide to try without any background. After I took out the background, Saladin (the betta) seemed very curious about what is beyond... And he stopped flaring at himself... This morning, he was at the front of the tank and seem to spend less time in the back of it :c3:...

Northernguy
10-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Hes working out! Hes trying to build up his flaring muscles!:ezpi_wink1:
Hes just looking at himself. I think betas are little conceted:hmm3grin2orange:

Sasquatch
10-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the replies. As mentionned, we took down the background and it seems to have helped the situtation. He's not in the back of the tank all the time flaring.

It was probably a black patch in the on the background where he was seeing his reflection. We were also a little worried because it was right next to the heater.

In any case, he's doing well, swimming all over the tank and he's still flaring every now and again.

Thanks again,

Sasquatch.

mac
10-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Hi,
It is normally for Bettas to flare at each-other. In the wild they are always patrolling their turf and bump into each-other which means a flaring of gills and may be a short fight.

So don't worry about it. It is a normal thing. And more so because he is not use to the tank or the reflection. It takes time for them to settle in. But if he dose not stop you will then be able to deduce that he is going to a aggressive one, and don't keep other fish with him.

mac

Kayla-Bug
10-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I don't think a Betta can 'flare too much'... When a Betta flares it relieves endorphins which make them happy. Be glad he's flaring, when he stops then you need to worry.