PDA

View Full Version : New coral today (got lucky)

kaybee
10-23-2008, 02:58 AM
One of the LFS' near me had some very nice looking acans (which also came along with a hefty price tag). They only had three of them there, so I was hoping at least one would still be left by Xmas. I've been eyeing them for a while now.

Well, a day or so ago my wife showed me a 50%-off coupon from that LFS's advertisement (I took that as my cue to buy now at half-price rather than wait until Xmas and pay full price).

I went there today to get it and it turns out the wording of the ad wasn't what the LFS intended. They told me they meant the ad to read 'buy 1 get the 2nd 50% off', but the actual ad said 'all saltwater live stock 50% off, one purchase'.

Initially he didn't want to honor the coupon but eventually decided to let me have it at half-price as advertised (he was kind of upset that they printed it wrong; luckily I was the first one to use coupon, I have no idea how subsequent customers with the 'erroneous' discount coupons will be handled as he stood to 'lose money' .

So I was able to get the purple acans with green centers at half price, still kind of expensive at about $8 a polyp, but that's better than $16 a polyp! I gotta thank my wife on this one, I ignore 99% of coupons and advertisment media mailed to me, I'm glad she noticed the ad.

In any event here's what i got:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/y2kenny19/Saltwater/purpacan.jpg

Slightly zoomed out, with a reddish acan at the right and trumpet/candy cane at the left:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/y2kenny19/Saltwater/3lps.jpg

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-23-2008, 03:01 AM
Very very nice. Acans are one of my favorites but at their prices they won't be in my tank for a while. LOL

Red
10-23-2008, 03:05 AM
Good deal ha..
Looks great!

oldhead
10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Very nice score! Funny how the ad printed and intended ad aren't even close to eachother. Somehow I'm sure that's the fault of the ad agency,lol. I wish I could get that lucky though. I'd love to have one of those in my tank too but as stated above the price is outta my league at the moment.

kaybee
10-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Hopefully the price of acans will come down, I mean they're very hardy and seem to grow quickly enough, shouldn't be hard to aquaculture.

I lucked out with the red one, though (I got it from a frag tank for $5 when it was about the size of a peanut m&m candy last summer).

The new purple one has expanded since yesterday, the polyp are 1.5" to 2" across:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/y2kenny19/Saltwater/purpacan2.jpg

kaybee
12-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Update:

Wow this coral is growing fast. I've counted seven new heads today (about the size of m&m candies), effectively doubling the quantity of heads in just under two months, as it was purchased with seven heads and now has 14.

I didn't notice them before because they're too small to be seen during the day, being concealed by the tissue of the larger polyps. But I caught sight of them today while the lights are still off.

I've been feeding each of the large polyps mysis shrimp weekly.

jimpierce
12-13-2008, 04:32 PM
those sure are beautiful. I think I need to take a road trip and go to a NSLFS (not so local fish store) in San Jose. My LFS doesn't carry things like that.