PDA

View Full Version : Ghost shrimo coloration?

Aude
10-22-2008, 03:48 PM
today feeding my fish two ghost shrimp, two of the very large ones, climbed out and I noticed one was the regular transparent color but the other was opaque...not see through any longer. I did some looking on the net and apparently they change before they molt? However I also read that prolonged discoloration can be a sign of iodine deficiency and, as I have no way of tracking one ghost shrimp among the many in the tank, I don't know if he's been this color for a while...

Any suggestions? Also is it recommended to add iodine to tanks with inverts? Can it harm any fish that are in the tank?

W_Oz
10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I've never noticed, but I aslo have an opaque Ghost Shrimp and as far as I can tell this shrimp will always be that way since it's been like that for close to a month.

Fishguy2727
10-22-2008, 08:55 PM
I think there is a type of leaf that adds iodine naturally that you can add to the tank. Bay leaves maybe?

You can dose with iodine. Without a test kit I would do so very lightly (under the recommended dose). Iodine is made for marine tanks (for invertebrates). It will not harm the fish. Overdosing would be a problem though.

I have noticed that many turn opaque before dying, but that is usually in crowded and recently acquired ghost shrimp at work.

Behavior is one of the biggest indicators of health. If it is acting normally it is probably fine.

Aude
10-23-2008, 12:44 AM
How do I find out how much iodine to add to the tank? I hear it's good for invertebrates and the tank (12 g) does have both cherry and ghost shrimp.

The discolored shrimp does appear to be acting fine...he was stealing a sinking pellet when I saw him last, the thing was almost half his size...but I was just curious about whether I was doing anything wrong...

Fishguy2727
10-23-2008, 01:00 AM
You can get an iodine test kit. You would probably have to special order it from the LFS or get it online, unless you happen to have a really hardcore reef LFS around. Short of that I would just add a little compared to the directions. I figure more than you have but not necessarily the ideal concentration would still be helpful.