PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with my fish?

OwnerOfPhil
10-21-2008, 10:45 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/thumbs/P1010327.JPG (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=9305)

I think he is suffering from dropsy, but I can't figure out whats going on with the fins. He doesn't have very good depth perception, and can't eat pellets because he can't get them in his mouth to save his life (I feed him flakes instead, they're nicer to him, and I have 2 snail to cleanup afterwards) He always stays at the surface of the water and makes a bubble from time to time. I'm afraid this behavior has been going on for a long time too. He's my sisters and I just started to take care of him because she's been away, I just got another fish and only when I compared the two did I realize something was wrong.
I just started taking care of it three weeks ago, and have been giving it weekly water changes. But I don't know about before that, my sister has been away for 9 mounths, and even when she was here the water was never changed. there is a Whisper filter in the tank, and we have gravel...

does anyone know what's wrong with his fins and why they're all shredded, and how to treat him if he's sick?

Kayla-Bug
10-21-2008, 10:52 PM
He kinda looks like a Crowntail betta, so maybe his fins aren't shredded?... Could you get a better pic so I can see them? Also of his tummy too? He kinda looks a lil fat to me too.

Did you say he was eating the flakes? And what's a typical day with him like (Ex, what's he do all day?).

Mvjnz
10-22-2008, 02:59 AM
Looks like fin rot to me.

The huge belly could be from over feeding or a tumour. If it's dropsy his scales should be sticking out, making him look like a pine cone. How long has his belly been that huge?

OscarFan
10-22-2008, 03:05 AM
definitely looks like a crowntail since the edges arent discolored I dont think its finrot. For his fatteness sometimes when you feed flakes they dont pass through the digestive system very well. Try feeding him peas.

P.S. just got a better look at the pic and the scales do look like they are sticking out a little. How long has he been like this??

Gemstone
10-22-2008, 07:39 AM
basically there could be four options to his *fatness*
1) he really IS fat...in which case..a diet would be the best option
2) if he is fat and the scales stick out..he has dropsy...and the chances of
survival...well...tiny
3) he has a tumour..in which case..well..
4) he is constipated...feed a pea..

Unfortuanately...fish doctering is not an exact science..as we can't take them to vets (I found myself explaining fish illnesses to one recently)..so we are very much left to ourselves and asking questions and hoping for correct diagnosis by observation and asking questions...

OwnerOfPhil
10-27-2008, 09:51 PM
definitely looks like a crowntail since the edges arent discolored I dont think its finrot. For his fatteness sometimes when you feed flakes they dont pass through the digestive system very well. Try feeding him peas.

P.S. just got a better look at the pic and the scales do look like they are sticking out a little. How long has he been like this??

sorry for taking so long, I was out of town!
I'm not sure how long he's been like this, a long time I think, not my fish, just pet sitting... he's always looked kinda funny, as long as I can remember, his fins have not gotten worse I think but they do have some white spots on them.
I'm going to try and medicate him with some ick treatment, just in case that's what the fin thing is. I will also try and feed some peas...but I'm not sure he'll be able to get them before they sink to the bottom, the reason I feed him flakes is because he's not coordinated enough to catch the pellets before they sink, and for some reason he can't get food from the surface of the water into his mouth either.
I'll try to get a better pic, he's a funny looking betta

OscarFan
10-27-2008, 10:41 PM
hes definitely a crown tail betta then he is supposed to look like that

Kayla-Bug
10-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Yep. His fins look fine. If you see holes in his fins or black around the edges then he could have fin rot, which is caused by poor water quality. And he doesn't look too terribly fat, but I would suggest feeding him a little less or something. Give him the pea, he will find it later if he doesn't catch it as soon as it starts falling.