PDA

View Full Version : How Does It Survive?

Alexbet813
10-21-2008, 08:52 PM
so ive tried feeding my common pleco veggies, and algae waffers, but he never touches them. My tank is very algea free but i just dont ever see him eating even when im up late at night. I'm not really all that worried he has been in my tank for ten monthes now and seems to be doing great i'm just curious whats the deal? is mine just worried about its waist line? is he the most fuel efficient creature on the planet? anyone have any ideas?

abaigael04
10-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Is his belly sunken in? Do you have driftwood in the tank? Maybe he is eating when you are not there- I did not see my common eat for FOREVER, but he is not quite as shy anymore. My rubbernose is EXTREMELY shy and occasionally I will see him dart of some fruit/veg if I walk into the room - but I know he is eating because he IS on it! You may just not be seeing him - is there algae wafer left in the AM? He could also be eating any of the other fish food that falls to the bottom - I thought mine did NOT eat the frozen variety I feed the other fish, but a look at the poop told me otherwise!! :c2:

Alexbet813
10-21-2008, 09:05 PM
he looks perfectly healthy, and just to say again im not worried about him im just curious about pleco eating habbits, and he is actually growing very quickly which is my own mistake for my tank..:14: but i will weight some lettuce or a cucumber chunk down and it will come out untouched and the waffers are the same. and i do have drift wood but can they actually eat that? its been the same peice all this time and it doesnt look all that munched on.

abaigael04
10-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Certain plecos actually REQUIRE driftwood, so yes , and some eat the various "stuff" that is on the driftwood and other surfaces. (aufwuchs)... Also - it took my common a few MONTHS (actually until he saw my loaches do it) to figure out fruit/veggies were FOOD. :19: LOL! So... I am sure he is eating, as you said, he is not looking skinny and is growing. (my common has grown from 1" to 6" in a year... and that is not THAT fast since I feed mostly veg. matter.

angelcakes
10-21-2008, 09:27 PM
plecos require plenty of wood as this is a source of food in there diet,also your pleco is nocturnal being a night time eater if you put food into the tank 5 minutes or less before the lights go out it will be gone in the morning,
cucumber is a tasty treat for a pleco:19: