PDA

View Full Version : Caught laying eggs !!!!

Northernguy
10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
I got another clutch!!!
I got up this morning and opened the canopy door and took a step back.
What an eye opener,I hate sticking my hands in gooey stuff by surprise!!!:18: This time she was on the door still laying eggs.She didn't appreciate her pic being taken but either does my wife so i did!
At least I can see how the eggs come out.I was wondering about that!!!!!!!!

Tolley
10-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Congraulations and good photos! Are you going to leave them this time yes?

Sir Tristen
10-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!:c3:

angelcakes
10-21-2008, 03:26 PM
:laugh1blue:
great pics:19: :19:

Northernguy
10-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I plan on cutting it in thirds and hatching just a hundred or two!:c2:

I just want to watch,I like to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:18:
My lfs said they want some and so did a friend .I already have 4 full grown,adult anyway.I have never seen a full grown apple snail.
I have to move them!

terrapin24h
10-21-2008, 05:32 PM
And what are we NOT going to do this time???? LOL ;)

Seriously, congratulations ont he new egg clutch. And on having the most promiscuous snails in the country :)

--chris

ps: you may not want to mess with the clutch, youll prob have a bunch that die off immediately following birth.

Kathyd
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Having given birth this past year, let me just say I feel for your snail. LOL! That clutch of eggs is a big as she is!

Anyway, great pics, congratulations.

Northernguy
10-21-2008, 06:57 PM
This time I cut the clutch in half and placed it on a rock above the waterline in a 3gal. tank.
I had to move it,Its destroying the varathane on the door and besides I don't want anymore in that tank.
I'll get some pics up shortly!

Gayle
10-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Awesome pictures!!!! That looks a wee bit painful! Congrats!!!!

Northernguy
10-21-2008, 07:26 PM
NAW !! I didn't feel a thing !:18:
Thank You!!

Gayle
10-21-2008, 08:12 PM
:19: Lol :19:

Northernguy
10-21-2008, 08:48 PM
This is how its going to sit until or if it hatches!

mrs fishpatrick
10-21-2008, 09:23 PM
great pics again

Lady Hobbs
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Wow. That's quite a photo. Nice job.

Mvjnz
10-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Having given birth this past year, let me just say I feel for your snail. LOL! That clutch of eggs is a big as she is!

Anyway, great pics, congratulations.

She only lays one at a time:) As you can see in the 2nd photo one egg at a time follows a groove on her body and is added to the clutch.

Nice photos:)

They don't really let anything disturb them once they've started laying eggs, I'm sure she didn't even notice you:)

Kathyd
10-22-2008, 01:51 AM
NAW !! I didn't feel a thing !
Spoken like a man, Ray. LOL!

She only lays one at a time:) As you can see in the 2nd photo one egg at a time follows a groove on her body and is added to the clutch.
Oh, okay. Now I don't feel so bad :c3: This really is a very neat process. About how long until they hatch?

Mvjnz
10-22-2008, 08:20 AM
1-2 weeks in a warm environment, and 3-4 weeks in a cooler environment.

Northernguy
10-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks Mvjnz! I was wondering about that myself.

terrapin24h
10-22-2008, 08:19 PM
northernguy--
As you can prob tell, i'm a bit envious of your snails' copulatory prowess. As such i've been trying to figure out why mine aren't "gettin busy" . I acknowledge that i may just have 4 of the same sex, but that's prob not too terribly likely. Given that, can you answer some questions for me?
--how many snail do you have?
--how long have you had them(i've had mine about a month now)
--if you've had them a while, how long did it take for them to get at it?
--what's your water temp?

Don't mean to hijack, just trying to think my way through this. Thanks!

--chris

Mvjnz
10-23-2008, 01:39 AM
My name isn't northernguy (as you prolly know) but I have snails which went at it like crazy when they were kept in the same tank.

I only have 2. I knew the brown one was female because she laid eggs shortly after I bought her (the store sperm). A few months later I bought a blue one and didn't know what gender it was. I think it took about 3-4 weeks after I bought him before I saw him having sex with the brown one. But once they got started they pretty much had sex all day every day for a month.

I then seperated them because the female laid a clutch a week and I don't have room for that many snails. I've hatched 3, sold one, thrown one away and have one that hasn't hatched yet. Don't wanna throw it away but I don't have room for more snails so that's prolly what I'll end up doing... (unless any Aussies in here want blue snails, in which case I'll send it to ya if you pay postage)

The snail tank doesn't have a heater, so when they first had sex the temp was about 18-20, but in the month they kept doing it it warmed up to about 24.

They were also fed lots of veggies.

If none of yours start showing any interest in each other soon I would suspect they are all the same gender. Even after they have sex they can decide to just store the sperm for month before they lay eggs, and when they decide to do that I've found that it can help to move the female to a different tank. The new surroundings sometime inspire her to lay some eggs.

Northernguy
10-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Terrapin ,a little white wine and some barry white man its easy !:ezpi_wink1:
Really all I did was go buy another snail and drop it in.Its a happy tank.My guppys are doing it ,my corys are doing it and the snails never stop doing it!
Its to bad I got kids or i'd be...but I don't tell!
My tank is set at 78 and I havent done anything to encourage it.lol
I have only the two snails. I guess she is just drop dead sexy!!!!!!:18:
I also feed a lot of veggies to all my fish and snails.

terrapin24h
10-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Terrapin ,a little white wine and some barry white man its easy !:ezpi_wink1:

LOL, can't do that--my 3 spot gourami is a mean drunk ;) He starts smackin the platies around; it ain't pretty.

Anyway, another possibility i thought of is that mine (assuming they are not all same sex) may be too young yet. They are somewhere between quarter and half-dollar sized. I bought on the small side as i didn't want to have short lived snails. They had some big ones there(ping pong ball sized) but i knew they were near end of life. Like i said, i may get a few more and throw them in the invert tank once it's cycled, that will prob get me somewhere. Thanks for the info

--chris

Northernguy
10-23-2008, 04:12 PM
What makes you think thay were that old?
I have seen them as big as my fist, well amost !
Don't they get to about 5 inches in diameter?

terrapin24h
10-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Different kind of snail. As i understand it, Pomacea bridgesii does not get that big, which is what we have(the guys that lay eggs above the water line). However, Pomacea maculata can get 6" in size, as can some others that are sold under the "mystery snail" and "apple snail" names(Pomacea canaliculata for example, ). The largest "bridge-ies" i've seen around here were ping pong or golf ball sized.

applesnail.net is wonderful :)

--chris

kazinvan
10-27-2008, 09:42 PM
LOL, can't do that--my 3 spot gourami is a mean drunk ;) He starts smackin the platies around; it ain't pretty.
--chris

:hmm3grin2orange: