PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 2217

Scuba Guy
01-14-2007, 09:01 PM
I have an Eheim 2217, running for about 6 years. Lately I notice that the flow rate has dropped off to about 25% of what it used to be. I have a 3 foot wide 65 gallong tank. The water out of the filter used to shoot at least half way across the top of the tank (submerged) and then create a good down current at the other end. Now it is about 20% across and the flow is much more gingerly.

This poor flow rate is despite my cleaning the filter top to bottom with tank water to avoid disrupting the bio-filter. No improvement.

I wonder if the Eheim is just wearing out? The impeller is excellent and the magnet is fine. I just don't get why the slowdown??

Anybody else experience this?

Lady Hobbs
01-14-2007, 09:45 PM
How about the lines into the tank? Perhaps they are getting full of junk slowing the rate down.

Scuba Guy
01-15-2007, 03:36 AM
I thought of that - and the hoses are all clear. I cleaned them anyway and no change. The flow out of the Eheim is just anemic...not like it should be or has been. I am really puzzled on this ...

f1oored
01-15-2007, 04:01 AM
6 years is a long time. That is like 50,000 hours of use. It my just be wearing out. I've heard of people replacing the impeller to improve flow but if you say its fine it probably is. The motor may just be wearing out, there could be a leak in a seal somewhere or a crack in the housing. So many things can go wrong on the inside of these things that it's hard to tell.

blue fin
01-15-2007, 04:03 AM
Considering the cost of the filter...depreciated over 6 years... that's fairly good service, I don't know what the long term life expectancy is for mine but I think if I get 5 years I could live with that.....

f1oored
01-15-2007, 04:28 AM
If you need a new canister filter check craigs list. I just got a fuval 205 for 10 bucks. And almost got a big rena (like new) for 25 (just a little late on that one).

Severus
01-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Craigslist is definitely worth checking out. I am trying to find a 100+ gallon aquarium on there.

Scuba Guy
01-15-2007, 01:44 PM
So...after six years of use, I should expect to replace the Eheim filter (motor)?

I don't see what wears out (apart from the impeller).....shouldn't the filter simply break? i..e work at full power or fail....nothing in between.

Assuming there is no restriction (and there isn't), this pump simply pumps weakly. I don't understand why it does that?

Scuba Guy
01-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Attached is a picture of the surface of my tank showing the Eheim 2217's flow.
I raised the return line so you can see the water jets. When this filter was new, those jets would arc more than halfway across the tank! Now they seem to arc maybe 10-20% across and look anemic...but maybe this is normal?

The filter media, lines, impeller, etc. are all clean. In fact, when I noticed this (tank seemed more cloudy), I cleaned the filter (care taken not to disturb bio-meda) even though I had just cleaned it a month ago. No change in flow...so maybe the filter is dying slowly?

jeffs99dime
01-15-2007, 02:16 PM
i would try an contact eheim directly on this issue