PDA

View Full Version : ? about Java Moss

Taurus
10-20-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm cycling a new 10g tank to eventually be home to dwarf shrimp. I got some Java Moss from my LFS today, just a few sprigs. I put some gravel in a 4 ounce plastic cup from my seasoned 20g tank and placed the Java Moss in the cup. Will the Java Moss grow out of the cup? I have two 20watt bulbs in the hood for light. The light is on for 12 hours per day. My though is that the cup will contain the Java Moss. But my question is will the moss grow ok inside the cup? Thanks in advance!

W_Oz
10-20-2008, 11:33 PM
The moss will grow just fine in the cup and, given propper nutrition, can stand a longer photoperiod than 12 hours which will make it grow faster. Why don't you just plop the stuff in your tank though while it's cycling? Adding the moss won't hurt it.

Alfcea
10-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I agree with Oz. The moss will grow fine in the cup... and with time it will completely outgrow it! Do not worry...

Taurus
10-20-2008, 11:38 PM
The moss will grow just fine in the cup and, given propper nutrition, can stand a longer photoperiod than 12 hours which will make it grow faster. Why don't you just plop the stuff in your tank though while it's cycling? Adding the moss won't hurt it.

I'm hoping the cup will help contain the moss from taking over my tank. Oh..lol..the cup is inside the tank with the moss sitting in it.

Taurus
10-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I agree with Oz. The moss will grow fine in the cup... and with time it will completely outgrow it! Do not worry...

Cool!! Thanks!:19:

Taurus
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM

Proper nutrition? Does it need to be fertalized? I'm a plant newbie.

troy
10-21-2008, 12:01 AM
No it doesn't. My 10g is filled almost all the way with java moss and I only have 20 watts of light without any fertilizers.

W_Oz
10-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Proper nutrition? Does it need to be fertalized? I'm a plant newbie.
I merely meant that if you do give it fertilizers and it's the only thing in your tank, plant or animal, you can give it nearly 24/7 lighting and it will grow quite quickly. You don't need to use ferts with Java Moss, the stuff's about as tough as nails and twice as hard to kill.

If you're worried about it taking over, invest in a small pair of quality pruning shears and trim it back to keep it looking nice and prevent it from running rampant in your tank.

gm72
10-21-2008, 10:52 AM
It will grow well in just about any condition. Then you can share it with fellow fish-keepers!

Gemstone
10-21-2008, 11:05 AM
that stuff is almost indesctructable....

Taurus
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies!! :22: