PDA

View Full Version : Suicidal pacu???!!!!!!

newt0524
01-14-2007, 07:04 PM
hey all

i posted a week ago about my pacu, see pacu with burn.

anyways, to recap, i had moved his tankmate (clarias catfish) out of his tank into a larger one. the pacu is alone in his tank now as he will not be making the trip to the large tank. with this said, the tank he is in is right at the point of being too small for him. he will be moving on in about 2 weeks.

since he has been alone, he has been quite lethargic. last week, he wedged himself between the glass and the heater (previous post) and made no comotion or effort to move and suffered a burn to his side. my wife had to move him away from the heater as he wouldn't by himself. we then put a plastic container around the heater with about an inch of access at the top (for water circulation).

so, today i was sitting on the couch when i heard a splishin and a splashin. i look over to see the poncho (the pacu) had madehis way into the container with the heater, and was trapped until i let him out. he did not manage to burn himself but was quite traumatized by the trapping. as mentioned there was only about 1" of space for him to get in, so it was a concerted effort to get in there.

i know this sounds ridiculous but.....is poncho so sad by the loss of his tankmate that he is suicidal???!!!!! can anyone explain this behavour???? has anyone expierienced this behaviour????1111 contantly trying to press against the heater???
what the hell is going on?

please offer some advice

newt

Abbeys_Mom
01-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Does he have other places to hide? I had a pleco who hid behind the filter intake all the time, just because there was no where else for it to hide. I made a cave out of large stones and slate and didn't have a problem after that.

newt0524
01-14-2007, 10:56 PM
ya, hes got a place to hide.

anything else?

newt

Lady Hobbs
01-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Is the water warm enough in the tank? Could he possibly be hanging next to that heater because it's warmer for him there? I had an angel that did that and finally I moved the heater. He picked out that spot to make his home and I couldn't keep him away from it. You could try rearranging the tank some giving him more hiding room on one end and that heater on the opposite side.