PDA

View Full Version : Cycling started

necromancer
10-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I started my cycling oct 11 saturday without any fish... nor plants... after a week i added 3 tiger barbs and the next day, i added 1 betta.... i am preparing this tank for my goldfish.. will give away my tiger barb to my friend after 3 -4 weeks of cycling...

ohh yes and i also added some plants after a week along with the fish...

fins_n_fur
10-20-2008, 08:30 PM
So you are doing a fish cycle? FYI - In my view tiger barbs with a betta is asking for trouble. Do you have another tank for the betta? The tiger barbs, as part of their nature are fin nippers. I would sugget to click on the link in my signature to learn about cycling and to do you research on your fish before you buy them, whether you will keep them or give them away. You can use the Tropical fish species link to the left under Menu.

necromancer
10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
ohh... i thought betta would do fine with the barb... anyway, i'll transfer my betta to my friends tank for little bit...
i've never seen my barbs going after betta tho...

fins_n_fur
10-20-2008, 08:47 PM
You may not during the day...but it's in their nature which makes interesting, but not at the detriment to long finned fish. Does your friend have some tiger barbs already? Again, by nature, they are a schooling fish and tend to be better in larger groups than three.

Tolley
10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Fins n fur has some very good points. Also if your planning on keeping the betta and goldfish together this will not go well as gold fish are colderwater fish and would prefer tmeperatures around 70f while the betta around 78.