PDA

View Full Version : Glow light Danios

Abbeys_Mom
01-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I was just at the LFS and they got in some Glow light Danios.
Three questions...
1. Think they would be okay in my 10g? (2 dwarf gouramis, 3 Sparkling gouramis, 1 yo yo loach, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 1 kuhli loach)
2. If I am not already exceeding my limit, how many could I get?
3. Anyone had experience?

Drumachine09
01-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Arent those the geneticlly altered ones?

Abbeys_Mom
01-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Apparently not. The store claims to be able to sell them now, so I might get them to orders some of the zebra ones.

Drumachine09
01-14-2007, 07:09 PM
well thats good.

kimmers318
01-15-2007, 02:39 AM
Haven't heard of glolite danios so I have to figure they will run along the regular danio tempermant. Crazy fish that swim around constantly and as fast as the size of the tank will let them. They do "ok" in a 10 gal, but would probably prefer a little more space....these guys are the crackheads of the tank:hmm3grin2orange: . Another consideration is that if you have slow eaters they will usually out compete for the food as they can zip in and get it long before the slow pokes get close to it, and the little gluttons will continue to feed until it is all gone.

Abbeys_Mom
01-15-2007, 03:00 AM
The Gouramis usually get to the food first, eating from the surface, the yo yo loach is at the bottom to get the leftovers and he's getting fat. Some in between fish might be nice. I just have concerns about overstocking. For the number of fish in the tank, you only ever see one or two.

kimmers318
01-15-2007, 12:44 PM
As for being overstocked.....that is a debateable Q. My personal feeling is you are at least quite close to your limits, but I understand your desire to add something top/mid level for activity because I can picture your nice mellow tank!:malelovies: My suggestion would be to watch your fish, make your own personal judgement about whether you thnk they will not like having anyone else in their territory. And also check your water parameters weekly before your water changes. If your bacteria levels are handling the current stock without taking those nitrates over 20ppm you might be able to get away with it. Danios aren't real messy fish. Once you decide to add them, watch your parameters closely to make sure that you won't have to bump your water changes up to 2X weekly to keep nitrates in check.
Good luck and let us know what you decided!

Abbeys_Mom
01-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I added my biowheel from my 55g. I don't have a test kit (when I need at test, I run a sample across the street to the LFS). I judge water parameters by fish behavior. I have to get a heater for the tank. I have never had a problem with dropping temps till now. It's gotten really cold recently and the tank is near a window. While I am there I'll get a sample tested.

vdub
01-17-2007, 01:31 AM
are they the glofish danios or glolight? i have glofish danios ad if this is what you are talkin about its best to buy them in groups of 3. i have 6 glofish danios and they are very active and fun to watch!:19:

vdub
01-17-2007, 02:12 PM
my mistake there is a difference between the 2. the glolights do look cool though close to my glofish. well goodluck with your fishies! :thumb:

Abbeys_Mom
01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I haven't decided whether to buy them yet or not. I may get an oto cat instead. I have to check my water parameters and I'm getting a new heater on Friday.

KneeKickLou
01-17-2007, 05:50 PM
When me and my Girlfriend were at the LFS we saw some of those GloFish danios, they were bright neon red. She loves the bright fish she's always telling me to get them but I'm not sure what I wanna add to my comm tank just yet.

jeffs99dime
01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
ok my mistake

Abbeys_Mom
01-17-2007, 07:23 PM
These are the ones I was looking at. They aren't tetras :)
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cyprinids/GlowlightDanio.php

KneeKickLou
01-17-2007, 07:41 PM
ohh those werent the ones I was talking about I saw the GloFish ones.

Abbeys_Mom
01-17-2007, 09:18 PM
The LFS near here claims they can get the GM Zebra danios, but I have never seen them and as far as I know the ban is still in place.