PDA

View Full Version : 42G: A pretticy

Demi ^_^
10-19-2008, 10:08 AM
42G: A pretticy

Well, my 42G has been up and running for awhile but unfortunately, it lacks in appearance in my eyes.

I read over the description of this sub-forum and it says:

Aquarium Journals
This is the place to start a thread to document your aquarium and how it progresses.

So, I guess this means that I can map the progress of my tank featuring the uglyness of it turning into a beautiful feature? Alot of people have mapped their tanks from the beginning to now, but why not do something in Demi style ^_^

----------------------------------------------------------

At the moment, my tank is bare, brown and basically ugly. I hate the look, so starting now I am going to blog the long road in making this unfortunate tank into a gorgeous wonder! Photos will be uploaded next entry - shield your eyes when you see them!

Tolley
10-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a cool journal!

Demi ^_^
10-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks Tolley!

Ok, everyone the picture below may harm your eyesight in any way possible, please do not do this at home. The owner of this tank has immunity against any viewers whose sight may become blurred or damaged by the shocking tank photo below ^_^ Hehe

http://i36.tinypic.com/jre3kp.png

Yup - talk about shameful! I had a photo without the flash with the natural light source, but it turned out blurred and horrible, so here is a clearer version of my tank with the lights off - not pretty, eh? :11:

----------------------------------------------

The good news!

The good news is that today I bought a 12” fake plant for 6 bucks – a bargain! I haven’t put it in yet, but I plan to tomorrow! My 7 mussels do a pretty good job with filtering the water, but the driftwood still leaks tannins after almost a year of being in the fish tank! I have a plan to move all the shells and rocks out and put in a nice big smooth rock! I think a nice rock would look so awesome with some moss sprung around it!

I need some real plants too. The plant that is seen in the photo above is a fake and the one I bought today is a fake, so I guess I need some real ones in the tank now to even it all out ;-) I’ll have to get that new fake plant in tomorrow!

bushwhacker
10-19-2008, 08:56 PM
i cant belive that wood is still turning your water that brown after a year lots of water changes and maybe take that thing out and boil it some more

Demi ^_^
10-19-2008, 09:38 PM
We do a W/C every week, but the thing keeps leaking. I am trying to remind myself that its actually a good thing, as the tetras and Angels love it ^_^

Demi ^_^
10-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Just as I am excited about changing the tank, what do my beautiful Angel couple do? Yes they decide that now is the time to clean the fake plant near the filter and prepare it for eggs *sigh*

They have already had 2 past spawnings, both resulting in no fry unfortunately :-( Maybe 3rd time lucky? I’ll have to keep an eye on that plant, good thing I wasn’t planning on moving that plant anyway! I got some pics of the loved-up fishies cleaning the plant – and yes, they are dodgy, but dodgy piccies are better then none, eh?

http://i37.tinypic.com/2whid06.png

http://i35.tinypic.com/2e4g6bl.png

http://i34.tinypic.com/1zppdsm.png

Good news is I have added the fake plant I bought yesterday to the tank and I must say, it looks remarkable behind the driftwood! It also makes the other fake plant look realer! ^_^ I NEED to find a big rock and take out a few of those shells, etc…

The Kuhli that I also bought yesterday is doing great in the tank – he is such an active little bugger! I haven’t figured a name for him yet… but I will have a lightbulb moment soon I bet!

BTW, here is the detailed stocking:

4 Angels – 1 breeding couple
8 Glowlites – bright and active
3 Corys – 1 male, 2 females. 1 female bound with eggs.
2 Kuhli Loaches – striped: Freddie, black: unnamed
2 Balas – small and sleek. Rosy, smaller one, baby brothers pet.
7 Mussels – my real filters
1 Shrimp – I caugh him at a dam and have loved him since…

Until then ~_^

doug z
11-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Wow..

Nice looking fake plant!

Demi ^_^
11-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Long time, no updates, eh?

Tank still looks the same, but a few things have changed with my stocking...

4 Angels: *2* breeding pairs (#1 pair has had 4 spawnings. #2 pair has had 1spawnings. All unsuccessful)

2 Balas: Going back to LFS tomorrow (Small ATM, but must go back because I have no tank too hold them in the future.)

4 Glowlights: Going back to LFS tomorrow (Angels devour these little guys during spawnings. Need to go back to LFS because I don't want them to die)

1 Freshwater Mussel: Only 1 left (Other 6 have gone back to the dam where they were found after learning about their breeding practises. Thanks Jess!)

1 Freshwater Shrimp
1 Apple Snail
2 Kuhli Loaches
3 Bronze Corys

----------------------------

Tomorrow when I take the fish that need to go back to the LFS back, I hope to buy some live plants or maybe some more Corys and/or Kuhlis.

Until then!

Demi ^_^
11-20-2008, 02:49 AM
HUGE thorough clean of the 42g!

I siphoned 30% of the water, leaving it only 70% full and then stirred up the gravel, thus getting out all the debris and poop. I removed ALL the shells and rocks, placed them in a bowl of boiling water. I then took out each rock and shell and then painstakingly, rinsed it in cold water and then rubbed off all the algae.

I then rubbed of every streak of Algae on the glass, cleaned the outside of the filter, heater and thermometer. I also took out the 2 fake plants and rubbed of the slight bits of algae on them too.

I then siphoned another 20% of the water, leaving it at 50% full. I re-arranged all the rocks into a nice, big rock formation/cave and ditched the shells. I put the plants behind the driftwood to make them appear less fake.

All in all. The tank is looking wonderfully neat and tidy. The Angelfish and Balas have more room for swimming; the Corys, Kuhlis, Shrimp and Mussel have more room for scavaging and feasting and the Glowlights have more room for hiding (L)

I just need some live plants!

BTW, here is the list of plants I want :))

Anacharis (Egeria Densa)
Asian Ambulia (Limnophila Sessiliflora)
Banana plant (Nymphoides aquatica)

:19: :19: :19:

mac
11-20-2008, 05:32 AM
Hi Demie,

Don't worry about the pics. My eye sight is all right.

I have found that by giving the logs a good boiling removes a lot of tannin. For me it too about 6 moths to have the water run clear after boiling the log.

Can't wait to see your up-dates.

mac

Northernguy
11-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Very nice Demi!Great colors on your angel!:19:

Demi ^_^
11-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Thankyou guys! yes, the Angels are very pleasing to the eye, hehe. Thankfully they all have different defined marble markings, so their easy to tell apart :))

I need to take some pics of the tank soon, it looks wonderful ATM!

Demi ^_^
11-20-2008, 09:21 AM
When I take the Balas and Tetras back to the LFS, my tank will look pretty bare. So I am thinking of getting 6-7 of these little guys:

Species Name: Moenkhausia Pittieri

Common Name: Diamond Tetra

Family: Characidae

Max. Size: 2.5 Inches (6cm)

Origin: South America

Temperament: Peaceful

Company: Suitable for community aquariums.

Temperature: 22-28°C/72-82°F

Ph: 5.5-7.5

Aquarium Setup: Prefer a clean, well planted aquarium and enjoy more
dimmed lighting. They appreciate a lower Ph and floating plants.

Character: Very peaceful and beautiful. Live for 5 years. The more mature they are, the more their colours will show, especially in males.

Feeding: They are not fussy eaters.

Breeding: They are easy to sex.

They sound so terrific and of course, they are so pretty and shiny! But the main thing is that the Angels won't feast on them!!! :18: Me likey :18:

Thankyou to our very own AC articles for this information!

Northernguy
11-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Yup! Tons of good info around here if you look for it.
Post some pics of your new tetras when you get them!:19:

Demi ^_^
11-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks Northenguy! :))

Here's a piccie of the new rock cave I created last W/C ;)) It looks bigger in real life lolz.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2vx4spe.png

I have to thank Jess (Fishalicious) for helping me with my questions and now I have debated that I can squeeze in about 6 Diamonds, so wahoo! If the Diamonds don't happen, then Lemon Tetras are second choice ;)

STILL haven't taken these Glowlights and Balas back! I am really getting frustrated with the LFS...

Fishalicious
11-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Don't thank me... you picked them yourself LOL :19:

Your tank is really starting to change and looks lovely!!!! A real joy to read this thread - thanks for sharing :c3:

Northernguy
11-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Anytime Demi,It looks fantastic!:19:

Demi ^_^
11-24-2008, 12:59 AM
More piccies and planning.

First pic is of how the tank looks now (The best pic I could get!). You can see everybody if you look closely! Theirs the Mussel, Snail, Shrimp, Corys, Angels, Balas, Tetras, Kuhlis :))

http://i37.tinypic.com/29b0txf.png

Second pic is my planning pic – here I was testing what plants would look nice where and here is a very rough drawing of what I am thinking. Now just to research what plants could go where with the [?]

http://i33.tinypic.com/3495or6.png

<Runs off to research>

mac
11-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Hi Demi,

No problems about the Fish. But IMO I would take them back right now. strait to the shop. No matter what they say. And don't leave till they pay you.

Other wise you plan looks wonderful. And your cave, wow.
IMo i would add some more caves and rock work. Then fill in with some plants like Anuibs or java fern.

Diamond Tetras or Lemon Tetras are a good choice.

mac

AABatteries
12-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Any updates? Looks great. If you haven't already gotten the tetras, Buenos Aries tetras would be a good choice, I have 3 of them and they are about 2.5in. At the LFS I saw 2 that were probably about 3.5in.

Demi ^_^
01-06-2009, 04:44 AM
Sorry guys!

So long with no updates! <guilty grin>

Ok, for Christmas, I got another fish tank, a 85L/22G long! It came with a stand, hood, 33watt light, 2 filters, a heater, a bucket full of fine creamy gravel and countless pieces of large pieces of real coral (Not live, but dried out real pieces) It is a lovely tank!

At the moment, I have 5 feeder goldfish in their, 1 fancy goldfish and my 2 Bala Sharks... The feeders were put in to keep the cycle going because 1 of the filters was still seeded...

The fancy goldfish was bought for my little brother and the Angels were attacking the Balas in the 42g, so I ended up moving them...

The Goldfish will be going into a pond with other goldfish when I have decided on my stocking for that tank and the Balas should be going to a friend who could provide for them better then me for awhile and have more luck taking them back to the LFS..

<relieved sigh>

Now then! The 42G news!!!

All plans for plants are down the drain at the moment because I am having such a hard time handling the outragous algae that is COVERED from top to bottom, from side to side... <ARRRGGGHHHH>

So the Balas are taking care of, it will be easier to give away the Glowlights to the LFS...

I think I am going to leave the stock after that....

I nthink it will be more natural - You know, a few Angels and then countless bottom dwellers (IE. The cirys/shrimp/etc)...

Then when the algae is defeated.. I may just lightly plant with Amazon Swords, Lace Ferns and Limnophila Nessiliflora...

We'll see ;)))))